Holy Mole Smoked Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewS119

Reaction score
Holy Mole Smoked Porter
Other Smoked Beer

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Cooler (48 qt)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes: Like Mole Sauce, earthy, spicy, chocolate.
Aged with Red Chile, Mexican Chocolate, Raisins, Honey

Ingredients
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 34.78 %
3.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 26.09 %
3.00 lb Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain 26.09 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (45 min) Hops 21.7 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
4.00 oz Honey (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
4.00 oz Mexican Chocolate (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
4.00 oz Raisins (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
6.00 oz Red Chili (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.04 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 32.1 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 22.3 SRM Color: Color

Have not brewed it yet can you give me any other tips or changes first smoked porter....

Peat smoked malt has a notorious reputation for being too smoky. Or more apt, a little goes a long way. In this case you might have a drinkable beer in a couple decades. If you decide to use peat malt, a few ounces 4-6 is probably what you want, but it would be better if you could find some Rauch Malt (beechwood smoked). Or smoke some of your own malts.

Not sure what your intention is with the honey either. Adding it to secondary is likely to cause most of it to ferment, imparting little honey flavor. You might consider some hone malt instead.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f77/loon-lake-smoked-porter-award-winner-90531/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/peat-smoked-malt-vs-rauch-malt-108039/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/smoked-malt-vs-peat-smoked-malt-119807/

Have not brewed it yet can you give me any other tips or changes first smoked porter....

I don't mean this to be disrespectful in any way, but find another recipe. I have a wonderful smoked porter designed along the lines of Alaskan Smoked Porter.

You'll find that it's much easier to add something to a recipe than to take a bad ingredient out.

I wouldn't even consider using 3lbs of peated malt. I don't use it at all. I suppose it falls under the category of 'different strokes for different folks'

Good luck

I don't mean this to be disrespectful in any way, but find another recipe. I have a wonderful smoked porter designed along the lines of Alaskan Smoked Porter.

You'll find that it's much easier to add something to a recipe than to take a bad ingredient out.

I wouldn't even consider using 3lbs of peated malt. I don't use it at all. I suppose it falls under the category of 'different strokes for different folks'

Good luck

Agreed, way too much going on. Peat smoked malt can yield very tasty results when used right (Hair of the Dog Adam, Stone Smoked Porter etc…) but when you use too much the descriptors range from acrid to creosote. I just did a 3.5 gallon batch with .5 lbs of peat smoked malt, it was a big beer and I am planning on letting it age for at least 6 months, but at the moment it is still too smoky for me.

I would just go for 2-3 lbs of Weyermann’s rauchmalt, it gives more of a campfire/sausage sort of smoke, much more mellow.

If you are married to the mole idea, I’ll offer a few suggestions. I have had the best luck getting chocolate with cocoa powder, it has had most of the fat removed so there is less chance of an oil slick killing your head retention (I like to mix it with some hot water and then add it to the secondary).

I have not used chiles, but I would lower the amount (a couple dried specimines should be plenty), you can always add more if you need more heat.

I would drop the raisons, it takes a lot to get a flavor impact (even 1 lb in 10 gallons didn’t give us any recognizable flavor), and you have plenty going on already. Same goes for the honey, after it ferments out you just won’t notice that small amount in such a complex beer.

I tend to opt for clean yeasts when I do complex/weird ingredient additions, so I would go for 1056/001, but that’s just me.

Hope that helps good luck.

Latest posts

Back