Not boiling extract mix long enough...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JebCkr

Reaction score
Out of curiousity, what happens if I don't boil the wort long enough? What effects can I expect on the final product?

I know it's nooby, but thanks in advance.

You don't boil the wort because of the extract (it's already pasteurized by the maker), you boil the wort to isomerize the oils in the hops. If you boiled for less time than the recipe instructed, your beer may be significantly less bitter (might be sweet) than intended.

What was the recipe/time? We can give you a good idea of what your results would be. If you boiled for 45 minutes instead of 60, for example, you may have more hops flavor with less bitterness.

It was a Mexican Cerveza and it only called for a 15 minute boil. I yucked up (slight boil over) and only got like an 11 minute boil.

It was a Mexican Cerveza and it only called for a 15 minute boil. I yucked up (slight boil over) and only got like an 11 minute boil.

I assume it was pre-hopped extract then? If so, you did totally fine. You should get the beer that the recipe intended.

I was talking about when you add hops to wort- the boil is what makes them bitter.

Back