Extended bulk aging in carboy question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waboom!!

Reaction score
I plan on aging my 6 gallon Raw Acacia Honey batch (with lalvin EC-1118) in tertiary for 4 years or more. Basically because it will be easier for me to leave it alone and actually fully mature a batch. I have never bulk aged before (for longer than 6 months). Are there any suggestions on when to add stabilizers or finings if any. My intention is to rack to its third vessel- a 6.5 gal carboy after fermentation is totally done, so it is not on lees, and to de-gas with a drill twirler. - thanks in advance

Considering the times involved, I would not worry about finings as it will clear naturally. I would add KMETA during the racking to the teriary to the range of 75ppm SO2.

If you leave the mead in the secondary for 4 months before the final racking, there would be no need to be concerned about lees acculmulation issues. Also you might read the FAQ on autolysis. It may ease your mind... ;)

FWIW, I've rarely had the need to degas a mead that experienced extended aging.

I figure this isn't resurrecting a dead thread since you are aging it 4 years ;)

I just started an orange spice mead this evening. Looking ahead, I plan on letting it ferment for 2 weeks, rack to secondary and wait until its done. Then, adding 1/4 tsp kmeta and degassing. Will likely pickup some K and C to clear. Then bulk aging for at least 1 year. (ideally a few years but that'd be overly optimistic of me)

So, what did you end up doing during the bulk aging? I was thinking 1/4 tsp of kmeta every 6 months, racking only if there are lees present, otherwise just stirring it in.
Then, at bottling, 1/4 tsp kmeta for the 30 bottles.

What do you think? Any other additions I need to be making?

Back