SO2 smell in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docg

Reaction score
Made a batch, organic cider, notty, yeast nutrient, had a sulfur smell the first two days of fermentation, then gone. Let ferm to 1.000 and primed with 360gms sugar in form of frozen AJ concentrate, bottled sat for two days and pasteurized. Tastes fine but has a sulfur "fart " smell to the nose and seems to be from the carbonation. Will this dissipate as the cider "ages" in the bottle? What causes it? ......Pat

Stressed yeast is the common culprit, how much nutrient did you use?. Now that it is in the bottle I don't think anything can be done.

I'm fermenting with Notty right now. After a couple days, the airlock was "farty", then about day 5 it was "fruity". Mine is a slow ferment going along at 62 - 64 degrees. What was your temperature?

it was in the mid to high 60'S . did another batch on the yeast cake and same thing- farty a couple of days early now it's fruity and OK but the last batch was like that too ...........Pat.

I'll be bottling next weekend if the SG cooperates. Be about another week to carb up to where I want it, but I'll definitely post back as to what happens, if I get a batch of "bottle farts".

I used 1 tsp /gal of nutrient. Funny I just opened another bgger, 25oz bottle , def had the stink on the first pour , but after that no sulfur smell ........

That's the smell of reduction (hydrogen Sulfide/sulfur dioxide). If you catch it early enough it is simple enough to fix: Stir vigorously, rack the cider or run through a length of copper pipe.

Unfortunately if it fixes into the cider it's there forever.

That's the smell of reduction (hydrogen Sulfide/sulfur dioxide). If you catch it early enough it is simple enough to fix: Stir vigorously, rack the cider or run through a length of copper pipe.

Unfortunately if it fixes into the cider it's there forever.

That's a great idea! I wonder how long of a length of pipe one would need?

Made like 4 batches of cider with no prob and now my last 2 have had issues.
I had to dump one batch and now am going to probably dump another cause i had the same issue. So let me see if i get this if i had added yeast nutrients at the start i wouldnt have this issue.

Corkpullers reference that it stays there forever is the first mention I have heard of it staying there forever. I've always heard that time fixes the problem. In fact, I have two batches right now that it went away.

Back