Quad Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
Help me form a quad recipe... I have a wlp530 cake to pitch onto and I'd like a really nice quad that I can age for a year or more to have a crazy awesome beer sitting around.

Here's what I've come up with to start. Going with 71% eff as that's usually what I get.

Belgian Quad
Mash: 148
OG: 1.100
IBU: 20
Loviblond: 20
8.25lbs 2-row
1.5lbs Brown Sugar
1lbs Cane Sugar
1lb Special B
1lb CaraVienne
1lb Crystal 90
.5lb Belgian Biscuit
.5lb Aromatic Malt
.5 oz Nugget @ 11.6% 60 mins
1 oz Strisspalt @ 2.60% 15 mins
Yeast: WLP 530

I'm thinking pitch around 68 and then bring it up to the mid 80's as soon as the yeast get hold.

Mashing at 148 for probably 90mins to make sure I get good conversion, then my normal technique of lautering and then 2 sparges of half the required volume of water both times. 1.25q * lb for mash volume and 1.33 for sparge. Should I up the water volume and boil longer since this is such a big beer? But it's only 10.25lbs of grain.

With the recipe, it seems like I've got a lot going on, but to me it seems quads have that.... What I'm really looking for it that dark fruit and sweet wonderfulness that is a quad.

well this is what I am ending up going with, going to start crushing grains in a few mins.

Too late, but I would have went with less special B (half a pound) and cut out the crystal 90L. I would have used Hallertaur and Styrian Goldings for the hops instead.

I have been posting allot about the Dark Candi sugars because of what I have tasted in some really good beers. The depth from a simple recipe is made complex by the right sugars.

Don't be discouraged by this one! Get back out there, use some sugar and give the last batch to some drunk buddies!

I have been posting allot about the Dark Candi sugars because of what I have tasted in some really good beers. The depth from a simple recipe is made complex by the right sugars.

Don't be discouraged by this one! Get back out there, use some sugar and give the last batch to some drunk buddies!

oh i know I can make a good one, but it's all about experimenting.

Latest posts

Back