Brew Magic Sabco System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes have and use one. Like anything it has its good points and bad...
The biggest one I ran into had to do with mash in and mash temps.
Best way I have found is heat mash water in HLT. Do not put grains in mashtun, move water over to mashtun, using back fill and top, reheat water to temp. Add grains a little at a time and stirring. Let grains settle for about 10 mins then start recirculation.
Also yes thermometer on top and bottom until you figure out what you want your mash temp to be. It like me you are used to using a thermometer in the top of the mash you will find you need different temp pulling temp from bottom of mash.

I'm planning on getting one in the near future after I get through building/buy a house after the new year. Will probably score one with a pinch of my Xmas bonus.

Anything to add/subtract?

I found that my temp is pretty consistent thru the mash tun. But I know now that I should definitely use hop bags in the boil kettle...plugged up drain. This one is about 9 years old but last Sunday got its first brew. Do you have any suggestions on adding anything to the set-up?

ForumRunner_20121206_192027.jpg

:) a BIG propane tank -- once you start using it you will be brewing allot more..
The best thing I think I bought for me brewing was the plate chiller. It cut about an hour or more off of my brew day and really lets me dial in the temp of wort going into the fermentors.

I think we will definitely look into the plate chiller. We used a little over half a small propane tank when we brewed 20 gallons of Lazy Days (pale ale) and Punnani (a hoppy stout), but a larger tank would be ideal...thanks.

I have a little concern that we have done something wrong somewhere in the process...fermentation process the Lazy Days is poor...no aeration through the airlocks. I need to check the specific gravity.

Just curious the stand is nine years old but just had its first a gion last week? What's it been doing all this time?

My friends bought this from a brewery that closed down and never used it...and my friends never used it until I convinced them to bring it over and for us to figure out how to brew. None if us brewed before this. We figured go big or go home!

ForumRunner_20121209_210939.png

That is an awesome system to start out on. As far as your beer not fermenting. Did you take a gravity reading? What temp did you mash at?

Our mash temp was 148 and the first gravity reading was 1.050 second reading a week later was 1.012....should I be worried?

Our mash temp was 148 and the first gravity reading was 1.050 second reading a week later was 1.012....should I be worried?

Nope. Your fermentation is pretty much over. Now you need to decide how long to leave it in primary.

My friends bought this from a brewery that closed down and never used it...and my friends never used it until I convinced them to bring it over and for us to figure out how to brew. None if us brewed before this. We figured go big or go home!

View attachment 87852

Wow, what an opportunity to jump into the hobby driving a Cadillac! You will never know the joy of destroying your kitchen on brew day, fussing with timers, hoses, heavy pots filled with scalding liquids!

Good luck and enjoy! :mug:

I have been using it for our little brewpub we just opened, and I am still dialing stuff in with this.
First- burners take a while to heat up sparge/boil water. Use as much hot water as you can to save your propane and time.
Second- volumes are tricky, since the out posts for HLT are below where water comes out you need to account for that. Sight glass may read 12 gallons, but subtract 2 gallons which is the amount of liquid below the outs.
Third-Watch for vapor lock with valve 5 and turning of 3 and or to 4. Pump is not the most robust, but you have to ease on #5 to get it to go at times.

I did a dry run, but still had some brew day trial and errors. I have brewed 6 batches and the mash has kept the temp for the most part at where you set it.
Best part of this system was their chiller. It goes straight in the fermentor at 60* from boiling.
We did not get their kegs, but for cleaning, sanitizing they seem like a great option. We are using sixtels, but if we could have afforded the cost and the space in our cooler we may have bought them too.
Overall it is a good system, but I can already see us outgrowing this and needing to upgrade within a year at the pace we are at. Do some research, count your money and make the best decision on what you need.
Cheers!-Bryan @ The Other Farm Brewing Company.

I have been using it for our little brewpub we just opened, and I am still dialing stuff in with this.
First- burners take a while to heat up sparge/boil water. Use as much hot water as you can to save your propane and time.
Second- volumes are tricky, since the out posts for HLT are below where water comes out you need to account for that. Sight glass may read 12 gallons, but subtract 2 gallons which is the amount of liquid below the outs.
Third-Watch for vapor lock with valve 5 and turning of 3 and or to 4. Pump is not the most robust, but you have to ease on #5 to get it to go at times.

I did a dry run, but still had some brew day trial and errors. I have brewed 6 batches and the mash has kept the temp for the most part at where you set it.
Best part of this system was their chiller. It goes straight in the fermentor at 60* from boiling.
We did not get their kegs, but for cleaning, sanitizing they seem like a great option. We are using sixtels, but if we could have afforded the cost and the space in our cooler we may have bought them too.
Overall it is a good system, but I can already see us outgrowing this and needing to upgrade within a year at the pace we are at. Do some research, count your money and make the best decision on what you need.
Cheers!-Bryan @ The Other Farm Brewing Company.

Hey, you are not too far from me! ... and we have fam in Boyertown! When is a good time to come up and sample your wares??? I found your FB but do you have a web yet? :mug:

Back