Hot pepper beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dneubeck85

Reaction score
Looking for your suggestions on how many peppers to use. I would like to impart a little kick, not too much, and a mellow aroma. I don't want the pepper to overtake the beer flavor. What do u think??

I'm brewing a wheat beer. Fairly simple recipe. The pepper is the question. I've read about people using all different kinda for a beer like this. I'm thinking about using a chili pepper. One gallon batch by the way

Lots of different kinds of chili peppers out there. Use about a half a habanero.

I put 3 roasted jalapenos in a 5 gallon batch and it was spicy. If you use those use one maybe two, roast them though, good flavor..

tally350z said:
I put 3 roasted jalapenos in a 5 gallon batch and it was spicy. If you use those use one maybe two, roast them though, good flavor..

He said it's a 1 gallon batch, so 1-2 would be overkill based on your experience. 1/2 would get him a little less spice than yours, though 1/4 might be the subtle spice he's looking for.

I can scale it down to whatever. Just looking for some clue as to what people have tried is all.

Ahh. didn't read the one gallon batch. I would add less at the beginning. Maybe half or a quarter of a pepper. Cause remember you can always add heat but its harder to take it away..

That is a tough question to answer.
If it were a commercial beer, you would want to just be able to detect the pepper. No more than that or you limit your buyers.
For your own use, that's hard to say without sitting down do a thai dinner with you.

I want to make a pepper beer also so be sure and post your results.
I want a bit of heat, but quite a bit of the flavor from the pepper.
I just had some shock top end of the world wheat beer last night.
It has peppers and spices in it.
You can taste the heat, but it's not strong. I also didn't get a lot of the fresh pepper flavor that I want in a pepper beer.

Yea its all to taste. If you want alot of spicy flavor in the beer mixed with a little pepper than leave the seeds in. If you want good pepper flavor with a little spice, then roast the peppers remove the seeds and add..

Ok guys....tasted the first bottle of the beer I made....I used quite a bit of pepper in the beer. Followed it up with some hot sauce when I bottled. Came out great!! Nice pepper flavor with a nice kick on the back end!! Happy with this beer!!

He said it's a 1 gallon batch, so 1-2 would be overkill based on your experience. 1/2 would get him a little less spice than yours, though 1/4 might be the subtle spice he's looking for.

I did a one gallon batch with three roasted jalapenos in the secondary and it had a major kick. I enjoyed it but it was overkill for most people. I would go with one small roasted jalapeno without the membrane/seeds. I have also always wanted to try using a can of roasted green chili's just because I think it would give a nice flavor/aroma addition without too much heat.

On a similar topic, I recently did a honey black pepper saison that turned out really well. I used one tablespoon of ground black pepper in the boil and it added some nice finishing notes....

I used a roasted jalapeño, a roasted Serrano. Added nice flavor but no heat. Then added two dried chili peppers from the garden. Still not enough heat. At bottling I put 1/2 tsp hot sauce in each bottle. Hell of a kick!!

Ok guys....tasted the first bottle of the beer I made....I used quite a bit of pepper in the beer. Followed it up with some hot sauce when I bottled. Came out great!! Nice pepper flavor with a nice kick on the back end!! Happy with this beer!!

How much is "quite a bit of pepper" and how much kick are we talking about? Comparable to what? Eating a raw jalapeno? Hotter? Did you add seeds/ribs?

My problem with this technique, especially for those of us who haven't tried it but want to, is that so much what is "spicy" is subjective. Too much heat for some barely registers for others.

I'm planning up a smoked porter, split in secondary into 5 separate 1 gallon batches, with jalapeno, serrano, habanero, ghost, and then all 4 peppers

I'm thinking of doing a whole pepper in each, roasted, and I'll probably deseed/derib the first three. The ones with ghost I'm going for pure fire.

How much is "quite a bit of pepper" and how much kick are we talking about? Comparable to what? Eating a raw jalapeno? Hotter? Did you add seeds/ribs?

My problem with this technique, especially for those of us who haven't tried it but want to, is that so much what is "spicy" is subjective. Too much heat for some barely registers for others.

I'm planning up a smoked porter, split in secondary into 5 separate 1 gallon batches, with jalapeno, serrano, habanero, ghost, and then all 4 peppers

I'm thinking of doing a whole pepper in each, roasted, and I'll probably deseed/derib the first three. The ones with ghost I'm going for pure fire.
i did a poblano smoked porter. i cut out the seeds and membrane so there was no heat but there was pepper flavor. i am too worried about not wanting to drink something that makes me feel hot until i find a beer that i can sample first haha

It was a one gallon wheat beer. I roasted a jalapeño and Serrano. Used both whole peppers. Chopped in secondary. After a week there was nice pepper flavor, just no heat. So I added two crushed dried chili peppers from the garden. That gave it a little heat but not what I was looking for. So at bottling I put 1/2 tsp hot sauce in each bottle. The one I opened had a nice pepper taste up front....smooth finish with some nice heat. Nothing over powering, but I like my hot stuff. I consider the beer a great success!!

Back