Quick question with my extract Belgium Whit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuldawg

Reaction score
I am about to do an extract wheat brew, but the only problem is a bought the ingredients awhile ago and can't remember the process clearly.

Here is what I have:
1 can wheat extract (4lb)
3lb bag of briess dried malt extract powder
1oz Dried bitter orange peel and 1 oz coriander seed

Now I know I bring the extract to a boil, then add the dried malt powder. My question is, do I add the orange and coriander to last 10 min or boil or do I let it steep 10 minutes after the boil?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

When I brewed my first Belgian Wit the orange peel and. Coriander went in the boil for the last 10 minutes. Tasted great.
Susie

don't be afraid to throw in fresh orange zest as well if you have the time to zest a handful of any kind of orange/tangerine/whatever. some ingredients you need to be very careful with, such as coriander- too much and your brew can taste soapy, but with fresh orange peel it's hard to get enough and it will give you a nice mellow hint of orangey zing. add just before flameout. and a chamomile tea bag or two adds a nice subtle floral note also

Thanks all. I was thinking about the potency of the coriander. I may just go with .5 to.75 of the ounce bag. I will also take some pictures and post the recipe after I brew today!

Thanks all. I was thinking about the potency of the coriander. I may just go with .5 to.75 of the ounce bag. I will also take some pictures and post the recipe after I brew today!

If you are brewing a 5 Gallon batch I definitely recommend using half the bag of coriander as it will taste purely of the coriander if you use the whole bag.

Personally I would decrease both the bitter orange and the corriander. When I use .5 oz, it tends to be rather prominent in the flavor profile. I like the yeast to be the dominant factor.

Back