Can't stop fermentation in my Strawberry Melamel...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfbayarea

Reaction score
I've been doing my first mead following Strawberry Melemel recipe/post:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/group-brew-strawberry-mead-156994/index17.html
The OG dropped to 1.015 in my secondary, which is the point where I needed to stop the fermentation. I used three campden tablets and two tsp of sorbet, however, fermentation still going, not as active as it was, but still going. How else can I stop it? I understand if I put it in refrigerator it will stop, however, it is in big 5Gal jar, which is impossible to fit in my refrigerator.
Please help.

If you are looking for an alternative to the fridge, could you put it in your sink and put cold water on the bottom and up the sides? That could slowly bring the temp down.

Am I giving bad advice here?

active fermentation is extremely hard to stop...unless you cold crash and rack (preferrably filter as well), but even then it's no guarentee.

You're best bet it to let it finish dry, then stabilize and backsweeten to where you want it.

I made this recipe before and just let it go until it finished...

Well, if it is still bubbling fermentation has not stopped, right. I guess, I don't have any other alternative, but sit and wait until fermentation dies out and than backsweeten it.

FWIW, melomels can be quite good dry. My Strawberry had a final gravity of .997 and it was my 2nd favorite. Good luck! :mug:

Well, if it is still bubbling fermentation has not stopped, right. I guess, I don't have any other alternative, but sit and wait until fermentation dies out and than backsweeten it.

Not necessarily...you can have off-gassing of CO2 in the absence of active fermentation, especially if the temperature is fluctuating (generally if its warming up). The only way to know if you're still fermenting is to do serial gravity readings. If you're still dropping numbers, then it's fermenting.

Back