direct fire MT or HERMS??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblott1

Reaction score
let me start by saying that there is alot of information out there on HBT about both of these systems. I 'think' i have read most of it over the past couple of weeks. i do have a ? about the reason for choosing one over the other.

I have a brew tree (3 tier all gravity feed), all keggels, the MT and BK have false bottoms in them.
i really want to build a single tier with a pump (maybe 2) but 1 to start. my ? is this--HERMS i would need to pump my wort from the MT through a HEX that is in the HLT and back into the MT. with direct fire MT i would have to recirculate the wort with a pump to prevent scortching.

Direct fire seems much easier.... so i'm not sure why people go with the HERMS. is it because, down the line, when i want to automate, it is easier to have 1 furnace/ pilot valve on the HLT and not need 1 also for the MT?

thx for all of your help, as you can tell, i need it

Back