Any brewers in the Bristow/Manassas Va area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1GR8DA

Reaction score
I have found a few clubs in Northern Virginia however I was looking for a group or club or associate to compare and contrast with in my area. Didn't know where to start so I thought I would throw it out there.

Welcome, I live in Woodbridge along with another fellow brewer. We both belong to BURP and they are an excellent and fun club to be in.

Who's up for planning a meet? Hard Times in Manassas has a great beer selection or we can have a homebrew swap at a pavilion at a park. Let's get something going and share some notes!

I'm in Manassas whenever you guys get snowy weather(Running plowing operations on Rte 66). I'd love to meet up with some of you this winter whilst I'm down your way.

I would meet up no problem as long as the venue was indoors as its too damn hot out right now! Always great to meet up with fellow home brewers and to brew with others as well. I have not been able to brew for the past two months because of travel and moving however Sunday I will be brewing an Irish Red and bottling a Munich Dunkel as well!

My husband & I are in Fredericksburg, but my folks are up in Centreville so we get up that way somewhat frequently. We're new to brewing (only 2 batches bottled so far), so we aren't really able to do any swaps yet but would love to hang out with other brewers.

Hate to necro this thread, but was wondering if this ever got off the ground? If not is anyone still interested? I thought the Hard Times recommendation was spot on.

It'd be nice to meet other homebrewers, group brew, swap brews, or just try micros without driving an hour to Dulles or Fredericksburg.

So...anyone in?

There is a Belgium restaurant in Occoquan that has a homebrewers get together quarterly. Cock and Bowl. Could do a dinner and share/swap. Owners are really nice folks. BTW, I am the other Woodbridge brewer (Ehedge)

Took the kayak out for a spin on the Occoquan when we lived in Woodbridge. I miss all the conveniences it now that we're on the other side of PWC...although I don't miss VRE one bit.

Would definitely be game if there's enough interest.

I'm not far from the Hard Times in Manassas so I would be up for a meet/ swap. It's getting cooler so chili would be good. Anyone brewing Saturday for National Learn to Homebrew Day?
I have so many I want to do I can't make up my mind!

Hoping to get two batches done this weekend (don't know which), but need more kegs to avoid bottling what's already fermenting....

Kegged 4 gallons of hard cider and 10 gallons of the house wheat. Took the 23rd off to conquer the IPA. I am up for a meet and greet or whatever guys. Bristow, Manassas locations.

I just brewed an IPA yesterday. I drank a little to much :tank: and didn't get to clean up so there is a chore when I get home from work today:(

I am brewing a Founders breakfast stout clone next weekend if anyone wants to meet up.

I'm in Woodbridge but would meet up anywhere as long it was scheduled for a weekend.

Yeah, I have an IPA in secondary w/ dry hop, 5 gallons of Apfelwein going, a batch of La Fin Du Pistoles in primary and am looking at doing a Holiday Saison this weekend.

I brewed an oatmeal stout, but didn't get to the APA. :S

Anyhoo....We're game for this weekend for a Manassas meetup. Alternatively, any weekend between Thanksgiving and Christmas should work with advance notice.

Did any type of meetup actually happen? I just relocated from Leesburg to Manassas and am definitely interested in starting up a brew club here. The other club in Sterling is a bit too far for an evening meetup given the traffic around here.

Also; I hear that Jay's Homebrewing shop from Clifton will be moving to Manassas this week. We could try and contact him. Some of the shops in MD have meetups at the shop and even do brew weekends in their parking lot.

-Scott

I have plenty of room in woodbridge with a brutus 10 setup if anyone is interested. Jays is a good idea as well.

No meetup yet that I am aware of. Jays is moving to Manassas! Please let it be on my side (234).

I don't have a formal group together, but I do have some buddy's that like to hang out and drink my beer while we're brewing! I tried brewing this weekend but the wind was too much and I gave up.

I would be willing to meet some local folks and see what we can get going. I don't have a brew rig built yet but can do 10 gallons, but mostly do 5 gallon batches. I just got a 70 qt Coleman extreme that will be my MT for large batches. I'm itching to do a Partigyle Wee Heavy/ Pale Ale split.

VaBrewer; I brewed a Chocolate Stout last weekend and the wind was killer! I think I burned 50% more LP than I usually do.

I don't have a brew-rig either; just two 10G coolers I set on tables and a 15 gallon Megapot.

I have ordered up some 1.5" SS square tube, a new kettle, and some RIMS tubes from Brewers Hardware though -- I expect to start my build in the next few weeks.

Because my rig is so portable right now I'm all about getting together for a brew day. I've got grains and hops enough for any number of recipes I have sitting on deck in Brewsmith.

I'd love to to find a time to make an informal Brew-up if we can find the place to make it happen.

And FYI; Jay's is going to be downtown old-school Manassas on rt 28, by the Southern States (Wellington/28 intersection area)

I have plenty of room in woodbridge with a brutus 10 setup if anyone is interested. Jays is a good idea as well.

I'm about to start a rig build and would love to find time to see yours in action. I've been to lots of mash-ups/Brew gatherings but the more I learn about other's rigs the better.

I think Jay's is opening today for the first time at the new location. Wish I had the time to shoot over there. I'd really like to convince them that they need to start a club and do weekend mashes in their parking lot.

Think I'll check out Jay's this weekend. That indeed would be a great place to facilitate an area brew club. Let's see how interested they may be. My rig is on wheels but I wouldn't consider it mobile unless there was a truck involved!

Think I'll check out Jay's this weekend. That indeed would be a great place to facilitate an area brew club. Let's see how interested they may be. My rig is on wheels but I wouldn't consider it mobile unless there was a truck involved!

I have an 8' low riding trailer that I've used to roll up my friends rigs and transport before.. If we get something going at Jay's or otherwise and you're in Manassas I wouldn't mind hauling it for you. All of my gear fits in the bed of the truck right now.

I'm about to start a rig build and would love to find time to see yours in action. I've been to lots of mash-ups/Brew gatherings but the more I learn about other's rigs the better.

I think Jay's is opening today for the first time at the new location. Wish I had the time to shoot over there. I'd really like to convince them that they need to start a club and do weekend mashes in their parking lot.

No problem. I need to brew a batch when I get back from vacation next weekend. I built my own and made plans so I can probably answer any questions you may have. My garage is 24' sq. so plenty of room to brew if anyone is interested. I off of dale blvd and miniville.

Just for what its worth, saw on NoVa craigslist today someone has a 15.5 gal keggle (electric) setup for sale, might be a pretty good score. Jus sayin'

Just for what its worth, saw on NoVa craigslist today someone has a 15.5 gal keggle (electric) setup for sale, might be a pretty good score. Jus sayin'

Yah.. I saw that :) It's got al electric element in it though. Good for indoor use.

Planning a trip to Jay's new location on Saturday. Who's up for it?

I'm heading over there today after lunch actually. I plan on picking up steel and doing some cutting/welding on my new sculpture Saturday.

I stopped by Jay's this afternoon and talked to Derek, the owner. He was really open to having a local club formed around the shop's location and will be checking with the landlord about using the parking lot area for brew sessions, like the upcoming AHA Big Brew.

I hadn't visited their shop in Clifton (heck, didn't know it existed) so I was really happy to see 55# sacks of base malts and weigh-your-own bins of specialty grains.

He also has bulk containers of hops in the 'fridge so you can get your exact recipe qty.

Really Really nice guy! He's still having some move-in-pains and his internet connection had gone down so I couldn't purchase anything -- but I'll be back there soon to show some support.

-S

Just wanted to say hello here. I'm brand new to the hobby and have yet to brew myself at home yet. Any brewing I have done is at friends in the area. Been able to witness all grain and extract a few times now.

Really excited to get started soon and I just recently saw that Jay's Brewing moved about a mile from my house in Manassas. I went in and met Derek on Saturday and am even more excited to start. I had a whole plan of what I would be ordering from Northern Brewer to get started and now that I have met Derek I'm looking forward to supporting a local business.

Personally I viewed it as a "sign" that a brew supply store opened a mile from my house after showing interest in this hobby. Seems it was meant to be...

Sidenote, I scored some Hopslam, Dogfish Head 120 and Nugget Nectar this weekend and I had to drink it alone. Need to get a good group in the local area for brewing and drinking.

ajsnow6234 said:
Just wanted to say hello here. I'm brand new to the hobby and have yet to brew myself at home yet. Any brewing I have done is at friends in the area. Been able to witness all grain and extract a few times now.

Really excited to get started soon and I just recently saw that Jay's Brewing moved about a mile from my house in Manassas. I went in and met Derek on Saturday and am even more excited to start. I had a whole plan of what I would be ordering from Northern Brewer to get started and now that I have met Derek I'm looking forward to supporting a local business.

Personally I viewed it as a "sign" that a brew supply store opened a mile from my house after showing interest in this hobby. Seems it was meant to be...

Sidenote, I scored some Hopslam, Dogfish Head 120 and Nugget Nectar this weekend and I had to drink it alone. Need to get a good group in the local area for brewing and drinking.

I'm always up for a brew session or taste/trade. I'm in Manassas as well right near the hospital. I just brewed a centennial hopped dry IPA sat, but will be doing a batch of DFH60 clone This coming sat. If you want to join

Went to Jay's yesterday. He has my information when he is ready to start a club. I will probably pester him next week as well. I will be scheduling three brew days for different entries in upcoming competitions so there will be plenty of "hands on " opportunities if anyone is interested. Live in Victory Lakes for those of you locals.

hey guys I live over in the montclair area/95 side. I have an inconsistent work schedule but would enjoy getting together and brewing with others when I can or trading/tasting homebrew. Also would be interested in a club. Didnt know that a new lhbs had opened in manassas. thats awsome to hear.

Russ

Thinking about whipping up a big honking Rye Imperial IPA on Saturday mid-morning if anyone wants to come assist/hang/taste. This Monster has a 19.5# grain bill for a 5 gallon batch with almost a lb of hops. Hell I'm not even sure I can fit this sucker in my 10 gallon Mash Tun :p

Russ

Welcome. There are at least 2 other HBers in Woodbridge including myself. The Cock and Bowl Belgium restaurant in Occoquan hosts a home brewers get together quarterly. The next one is this Wednseday at 7:30.

Hope you can join in, we do tastings at the get together.

Sheldon

Derek seems pretty busy with opening the new location. There's enough interest now that it might be worthwhile to start an informal group and keep him in the loop for when things settle down at the new shop.

Just my $0.02

Oh I concur that Derek is busy; and I when I spoke with him on Friday and Saturday I didn't intend for him to do any organization of a club.

What I really wanted was just a buy-in from him on the concept of having a club that he could get behind. Either in recommending it to clients, using the parking lot for events (like this year's AHA Big Brew), etc.

When we talked I mentioned I'd drop back by in a month or so to discuss it further.

Back