Love temp probes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_

Reaction score
I've spent the last 20-30 minutes trying to figure out what if any temperature probe for the various love controllers are submersible but for the life of me I can't find a straight answer. Could someone tell me if the TS-6 or TS-1's are submersible and if not would I just need to get one of the TS-W thermowells? I'm using these in a keezer and a fermentation chamber.

I would not trust the cable to sensor junction to be water tight as is, looks like crimped or molded ends. Wipe the cable and sensor with rubbing alcohol to clean the surface, and coat with RTV silicone at cable/sensor junction, and you should be okay to submerge the sensor. If just hanging sensor in the chamber without submerging you can use as is.

Water messed up my Love probe. Had to build a new one.

Not hard, by the way. used the same wire, soldered it to a new thermistor, dropped it into a brass tube, epoxied both ends... now waterproof.

Thermistor - Digi-Key, $0.77 ea. Shipping $2 Look for thermistor that is 1000 ohms at 25C

brass tube - hobby shop. (mine sits in the water bath of the fermenter, not in my beer).

EDIT - now 89 cents. Look for P/N 568-1003-ND

Thanks for the responses. I've actually got some left over non rigid copper tubing from a counter flow chiller I did so I'll probably just put the probes in a couple of pieces of that and seal the ends with epoxy which I also have on hand.

gotta love being able to finish off a project without having to fork out any additional cash :)

I've spent the last 20-30 minutes trying to figure out what if any temperature probe for the various love controllers are submersible but for the life of me I can't find a straight answer. Could someone tell me if the TS-6 or TS-1's are submersible and if not would I just need to get one of the TS-W thermowells? I'm using these in a keezer and a fermentation chamber.

My Love controller came with an NTC thermistor, that should be the TS-7 model. The thermistor and cable end is dipped in black epoxy. I have had it submerged in water in my keezer for at least four months and have had no problems with it.

Um...how about a thermowell?
http://www.brewershardware.com/16-Stainless-Steel-Thermowell.html

Paired with a carboy cap and you're good to go.

Since these will be controlling the temp for multiple containers (4 kegs in the kegerator and 2-3 carboys in the fermentation chamber) I will likely be using the ice pack gel in a jar method so that large of a thermowell wouldn't be necessary but thanks for the link to the site. I've already bookmarked it for future use.

Out of curiosity has anyone every tried using a product like this for a non heat exposed applications? It would seem that dipping the casings in the solution should provide enough insulation from moisture while still being thin enough to avoid messing with the sensitivity of the probe.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I saw somewhere and copied it, I slipped silicone tubing over the thermocoupler and secured with small o-rings. myself just rolled the tubing over its self

Back