What would you make with a 1/2 keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loweface

Reaction score
Like this one?
Pony%20Keg%20Straight%20Sided.JPG

If I make anything not beer related it'd be a BBQ but I'm sure it'll be beer related.

Not doing AG yet, is 30 L sufficient as a HLT?

Not doing AG yet, is 30 L sufficient as a HLT?

As long as you don't mind having to add water in between striking and sparging.

30L is around 8 gallons....so if you fill it to the brim it will get you through a brew day.....I have a 7.5 gallon HLT, and I just use it to heat my strike water, (for the mash), then while mashing I use it to heat my sparge water. Works great. Even for 11 gallon batches you don't need more than 7 gallons of water at a time...(well I don't...)

Makes for a great fermenter for 5 gallon batches. Take the spear out and throw in a size 11 stopper with an air lock. Boom....done.

i had the same question a while back but didn't ask it... I have the bigger version sanke that I was wondering the same thing. I am thinking of making a HLT, then thought a mash tun would be better.... but I need a brew kettle.

I will take suggestions as well and piggy back on your thread.

I live in a college town and can pick up kegs on the cheap on CL all day long. This one was left at my house and has been taking up space in the garage for years.

just out of curiosity, how would you make sure this thing is well cleaned out after fermenting in it? seems like it'd be hard to get to the top corners with a brush... just rely on PBW/oxyclean to take care of things?

fill it, soak it a good 24 hours, take something like a carboy brus to it, if you are still paranoid go at it again. Or you could get one of those cool little parascope mirrors with a flashlight

just out of curiosity, how would you make sure this thing is well cleaned out after fermenting in it? seems like it'd be hard to get to the top corners with a brush... just rely on PBW/oxyclean to take care of things?

Put it on a burner with a gallon of water and restrict the steam at the top with a stopper.

Steam cleans anything

sorry, another qestion regarding this. do you have to replace the snap ring each time you remove and replace the sanke stem? or just be careful taking it out?

Back