KreamyX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Revvy, i'll be sure to take lots of pics and notes then. BTW i've read a lot of your posts on here that have helped me out.

Its good as gold! Its a poor man's nitro! Makes your beer head kreamy as a milkshake. I think I was the guy who got NB to stock this stuff. I called them more than once asking for it, then I got an email saying we have it in stock.

I like it in beers where you want a good milky or creamy head. Boddingtons Pub Ale and Stouts are two that come to mind.

image_281.jpg

Heres a picture of a beer where I used Kreamy-X

Banana_Beer_002.jpg

I used it once in my brown ale. It made for a nice creamy head. I plan on using it on my upcoming Irish stout.

Schlenkerla that is an amazing head on that beer. makes me feel better, i was beginning to wondering if i had been sold snake oil.

snakeoil.jpg

So, THAT'S what it does?!?!? I remember someone talking about it before on here, but never was quite sure what it did. Man, I might have to brew up a stout and try this stuff!

EDIT: Great, thanks a lot, now I'm wasting time searching the net to learn more about KreamyX!!!

I'm sure I will never find Kreamy-X where I live :mad: so I better think It really does'nt work.

You can buy it online at Northern Brewer or ask your LHBS to stock it for you. Its a Munton's product. Almost all LHBS carry a Munton's product line, so asking for it and getting stocked shouldn't be a big deal.

Most places are clueless to the existence of this product so letting them know about it is the right way to go.

I bought some of this from Monster Brew for $2.99, one bag is enough to treat five 5gallon batches.

You can buy it online at Northern Brewer or ask your LHBS to stock it for you. Its a Munton's product. Almost all LHBS carry a Munton's product line, so asking for it and getting stocked shouldn't be a big deal.

Most places are clueless to the existence of this product so letting them know about it is the right way to go.

I will try, but here we don't have LHBS, actually till I found this forum I didn't even know that those places existed, anyway I will ask my "dealer" if they can get some of that "stuff".

Right Revvy, I didn't want to be the first to talk about that, but I thought the same: Sounds dirtyyyy......:cross:

In my experience, beers made with the KreamyX seemed to take longer to bottle condition and drop clear as compared to using plain corn sugar for priming. It does give a nice lacy head with good retention.

I bought some of this from Monster Brew for $2.99, one bag is enough to treat five 5gallon batches.

This must be a typo.. It should be....

I bought some of this from Monster Brew for $2.99, one bag is enough to treat one 5 gallon batch.
In my experience, beers made with the KreamyX seemed to take longer to bottle condition and drop clear as compared to using plain corn sugar for priming. It does give a nice lacy head with good retention.

This is true since its got a combination of corn sugar, DME and heading powder. Its not a lot longer, just typical if you use DME to prime.

I just ordered some for an up coming Oatmeal Stout. Thanks for the find!!

Just found this at the LHBS. This looks like basically the same thing in tab form.

http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/4,12065.html

P.S. The "heading powder" is a form of Propylene Glycol... if you really want that in your beer... less chemicals the better I say.

I forgot about this tidbit. The carb tabs are not as good as the powdered form. You boil the powder and contents get dissolved well into the priming solution. No problem! Whereas the tabs are added to the bottle and filled. Many people complained about seeing white floaties in beer where they use the tabs. It goes to how well the heading powder is dissolved. I also doubt that its fermentable since its job is to add suds.

BTW - Propylene Glycol Alginate is not to be confused with antifreeze ingredient. Its made from kelp or algae. Its a common agent used to thicken or give texture to food. In our case, with beer and it gives considerable mouthfeel and great appearance.
Propylene glycol alginate (PGA) is an emulsifier, stabilizer, and thickener used in food products. It is a food additive with E number E405. Chemically, propylene glycol alginate is an ester of alginic acid, which is derived from kelp. Some of the carboxyl groups are esterified with propylene glycol, some are neutralized with an appropriate alkali, and some remain free.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol_alginate

http://www.aisonschem.com/propylene%20glycol%20alginate.htm

http://www.straightdope.com/columns...lene-glycol-alginate-found-in-salad-dressings

You know as I think about this stuff, it works great, but its not the kind of thing you will use in every beer. The head can be very mousse-like almost as if you added some whip cream to your beer. (Thinking of one them fancy $5 cups of coffee.)

This stuff is good for extract beer where you desire some good head retention. All grainers probably won't see a need for it in most cases, not to mention we tend to have a purist attitude. I will say though, if you want the nitro widget effect without the expense of the nitrogen set-up or the problem of figuring out how to get a widget into your bottle, then this is for you.

I think these beers would do well with this stuff;
English Pub Ale, Mild, Porters, Stouts. Maybe in a Helles or Marzen/Octobefest (served in a liter stein) its all appearance. Fruited beers or even a rauchbier. Some specialties too.
I have use this in a Banana Beer and Cheesefood's Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale. Both have been wonderful beers!

I'm pondering now how it would fair in a cider!!! I think it would be strange. It would need to be in a sweeter cider made with a sweet mead yeast.

:mug:

I forgot about this tidbit. The carb tabs are not as good as the powdered form. You boil the powder and contents get dissolved well into the priming solution. No problem! Whereas the tabs are added to the bottle and filled. Many people complained about seeing white floaties in beer where they use the tabs. It goes to how well the heading powder is dissolved. I also doubt that its fermentable since its job is to add suds.

Interesting. How about crushing them in a coffee grinder first and boiling them? I'm just thinking for people who don't have access to KreamX to give this a shot....

BTW - Propylene Glycol Alginate is not to be confused with antifreeze ingredient. Its made from kelp or algae. Its a common agent used to thicken or give texture to food. In our case, with beer and it gives considerable mouthfeel and great appearance.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol_alginate

Definitely interesting. I'll check out the links. We're a bit nutty in our house about keeping away from potential nasty chemicals if they can be avoided.

Interesting. How about crushing them in a coffee grinder first and boiling them? I'm just thinking for people who don't have access to KreamX to give this a shot....

Definitely interesting. I'll check out the links. We're a bit nutty in our house about keeping away from potential nasty chemicals if they can be avoided.

200 grams or 7 oz is what is in the powdered package. I would not grind them. I would weigh out this amount and boil that in 2 cups of water.

I know what you mean about chemicals. I have seen heading compound made from gum arabic. Tree sap.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/heading-powder-1-oz.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gum_arabic

I'm making an ordinary bitter, little 3.5% session brew next weekend. Would this be a bad candidate for KreamyX, I'd like to try it....

I'm making an ordinary bitter, little 3.5% session brew next weekend. Would this be a bad candidate for KreamyX, I'd like to try it....

That doesn't sound bad. A bitter with a thick head and mild carbonation, served at cellar temp. Sounds pretty decent.

I'm ordering a few packs of KreamyX. One will go into the Honey Brown Ale now in primary that I am brewing for SWMBO.

I'm excited to try it in a stout. Seems to be made for it!

Pez.

So, what's the deal with this...do I boil it like I do DME for priming? How much water should it be boiled in? Two cups sound about right?

Directions say "use in place of priming sugar" and nothing else..so yeah...that's what I plan on doing. 2 cups seems reasonable. Has some DME in it, so don't know if it boils up some, might.

Directions say "use in place of priming sugar" and nothing else..so yeah...that's what I plan on doing. 2 cups seems reasonable. Has some DME in it, so don't know if it boils up some, might.

Cool. Hey, VT brewer, do you know if Vermont Homebrew Supply carries this stuff? I'm over in Wilmington NY (Whiteface area) and I shop there at least once a month.

FYI - I use the whole package with ~ 2 cups of water. I believe it says that its for 6 gallons (23L) I have always used the entire contents in 5 gallons (18L). That's ok since the UK likes their beer w/ less carbonation. There is NO risk for bottle bombs as long as your beer is ready to bottle.

I'm glad I read this thread. Saw this stuff in the shop I work at and just thought it was a different brand of priming sugar. Now I know.

AND KNOWING'S HALF THE BATTLE !!!

Cool. Hey, VT brewer, do you know if Vermont Homebrew Supply carries this stuff? I'm over in Wilmington NY (Whiteface area) and I shop there at least once a month.

They carry munton's, so I don't see they can't get it. I'll be there Saturday and ask Anne. When were you last there? Matt cut his hair.

They carry munton's, so I don't see they can't get it. I'll be there Saturday and ask Anne. When were you last there? Matt cut his hair.

About 2-3 weeks ago. I'll be in B-town this weekend.

She doesn't carry it but can get. She thinks it's a little gimmicky and prefers a few oats in the recipe for the same effect.

While you're there check out http://www.chapinorchard.com/crush.html

If you're back in town on the 24th you can grab yourself 5/10 gallons of cool fresh cider to do with as you please. It's about 15 mins from brewstore.

Back