Vinnie Cilurzo's Bottling Advice for IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mroberts1204

Reaction score
In the newest issue of Zymurgy, Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River recommends that you purge all bottles/secondary with CO2 because IPAs oxidize very quickly. He stresses this point strongly. What is the best way to do this? I don't keg my beer and from the reading I've done...the beer gun and counter pressure bottle filler are used to move beer from a keg into a bottle (not from fermenter to bottle). Please help me out here!! :confused:

If you are bottle carbing, don't worry about it. The yeast will take care of what little oxygen is left in the bottle. When I used to bottle, I get some foam as I was filling the bottle. Once the foam gets to the top remove the wand and cap it (i.e. cap on foam). Basically this is purging any O2.

you can also buy special caps to help keep your bottled beer from oxidizing. they are not much more then regular caps.

Back