reusing the yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughBrooks

Reaction score
I am about to brew a barley wine for the frst time and was wondering about using my yeast cake from an oatmeal stout that I recently made. I saved a large portion of the yeast and put it in the fridge. My question is... Should I add some starter wort to that a couple days ahead of time to get it going again? Or will it be okay if I just take it out the fridge on the morning of the brew day and let it rise to room temp and then pitch? Thanks for any advice!:)

Did you wash the yeast or anything like that? I'm sure it would be just fine to throw into your batch, but I would honestly still make a starter anytime I'm reusing yeast. I'm sure the grain bill is quite expensive on your barley wine. Hate to see it go to waste by a bad batch of yeast. Normally if I'm pitching on top of another yeast cake I'd do it very soon after racking off of it.

I did not wash the yeast but there was a ton of it in the primary and i collected mostly off the top of that cake. I was not going to pitch it on top of another batch I am planning on using that for the yeast to pitch for the batch. I have a little more than a week and a half before brew day so I have time to make up my mind. One thing that I have heard about barley wine is that you should repich more yeast about 5 days before you bottle to make sure fermentation completes and to have enough yeast for carbonation. Does that sound right?

Back