Will this tap work with cornie kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrFtr28

Reaction score
There is a tap system listed on CL, and being the newb that I am, I am not sure if it will work with cornie kegs. I believe I would need adapters for it to work, if so does anyone know about how much they will cost? Here are the pictures the guy sent me. Also, he is asking $75 for this setup.

Thanks for any feedback.

P6090335_2.jpg

P6090330_2.jpg

P6090329_2.jpg

P6090327_2.jpg

you can use everything in tha tpicture but the tap itself... you will need to get the small disconnects for the corney kegs (like 5 bucks each)... but the kit looks really nice and depending on how much they are asking for it might still be worth it...

EDIT: Didn't see you said 75 bucks... YES PULL THE TRIGGER NOW... the Co2 alone would run you that much...

the keg coupler will need to be replaced, (the piece in the focus of the pic below)
P6090335_2.jpg

Everything else can be used, you will need to buy a Liquid and gas QD to match your corny keg (pinlick or ball lock)
Ball Lock Liquid Fitting 1/4" Barbed :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies
Ball Lock Gas Disconnect, 1/4" Barbed :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

You just connect the gas line to the gas QD and the faucet to the liquid QD

you could use http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=152
however, if all you are going to do is corny kegs, it is cheaper and easier to just cut the lines to remove the threaded keg attachments, and install the new QDs

As previously said, the tank and regulator alone are worth $75. Take the lot, and trade/sell the sanke tap for corny-style fittings.

As previously said, the tank and regulator alone are worth $75. Take the lot, and trade/sell the sanke tap for corny-style fittings.

definatley worth the $75!!! (assuming the regulator works properly)

Just for grins, i priced that at Micromatic.com
RK-1 Basic Kit $47.00
430A-10E 10 lb. CO2 Cylinder $91.95
842 Primary Double Gauge - CO2 $44.15
7485E D System - Black Lever Handle In Stock $30.95
Subtotal $214.05 (if purchaced new)
it should be $10 more, but the regulator is out of sock, and the one i quoted here is $10 less.

Thanks for all the replies. So obviously I will still need the keg, but I do have a fridge. A couple more questions, will that regulator only support one keg? If so, would I be able to just use a manifold to expand to more kegs? Lastly, will I need to purchase more hose?

You'll want to find out what the last testing date on the tank is. If it's over 5 years old, you'll have to re-certify it (called "hydro" in the industry). It will cost about $15. Sometimes you can just find a place that does exchanges instead of fills but you'll pay a little bit more.

You'll also want to change out the beer serving line to 3/16" inside diameter. What you have in that pic is surely 1/4" and too large.

You can split the gas line with TEEs or a manifold block to as many kegs as you want.

Thanks for all the replies. So obviously I will still need the keg, but I do have a fridge. A couple more questions, will that regulator only support one keg? If so, would I be able to just use a manifold to expand to more kegs? Lastly, will I need to purchase more hose?

I would replace the liquid hose, just top be sure you have new hose for your beer!
You can use a manifold for sure! the stainless cross is cheaper, but does not have any on/off valves

If you want to have more than one tap on your fridge door, you will also need another faucet and shank.

If you want to make sure you get the right parts, I would call kegconnection, and have them read this thread (they have an account here) and they can make sure you get everything you need!

Make sure you buy extra keg orings, and KegLube!!!

So with all the stuff that I would need to replace, plus the adapters, would it be better and about the same investment as just getting a kit from kegconnection.com or a similar site? Granted, it might be a little more with shipping, but it might be worth it to just get it all at once.

If the tank is less than 5 years old, and you only replace the QDs and beverage line, you are looking at about $20

Buying the same thing new from KC would be about $200 and come with 1 keg.
1 Faucet Refrigerator Conversion Kit for Homebrew with keg!

Buying new vs used is totally up to you.
I purchaced new about 3 months ago, but never saw any sales on CL, and being new to kegging, I felt that paying a little more was worth the assurance of the customer service behind my new purchace, as well as having a system ready to go as soon as i opened the box (and filled the CO2 tank)

I have http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7739
and am perfectly happy with the picnic taps.

There has been discussion over single body vs dual body regulators, and the concensus is "Get the dual body regulator"

Through searching the forums I came across this kit. Will that work for a "through the fridge" type kit, or will I need to get a shank and faucet? I know where I can pick up a used 20 lb CO2 tank locally, so that will cut down on my shipping costs. I think I would rather get everything all at once and pay a little more then try and piece it together, unless the savings were substantial. Our baby is due in less than 20 days, so the less I can spend on home brewing supplies the less SWMBO will complain.:ban:

Is that a brass fitting on the liquid out line? might want to remove that.... or is brass ok for the carbed beer?

I would snatch that up if I were you. All you need to change is the fittings to work on a Corny. I would run some oxyclean though the beer lines and then some hot water and sanitize. Everything in the picture looks like its in pristine condition. Sell the Sanke tap for a couple of bucks or hell keep it so when you buy a commercial keg you don't need to rent one.

if this is in Michigan and you don't want it, PM me the CL info, and I'll have my cousin buy it......

Snatch it. I'd gladly pay to take the sanke coupler, tailpieces and nuts off your hands.

Failing that, there is a cheap-cross part you can make from brass. See the sig yo.

Looks like I was too slow, somebody already got it. Oh well.

Thanks again for all the information, I definitely learned alot.:mug:

Back