Transferring beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry08

Reaction score
I am hoping to get a good suggestion on this.
I am going to a party today and taking a few different beers with me as Stubbies 375ml bottles.

I placed 6 washed bottles in the freezer and cooled some large bottles of beer to pour into the stubbies. Reason presentation and although I get only a dusting of sediment I did not want any in the stubbies I am taking.

I have a half hour to kill so I thought I would ask for ideas. I now have the bottles filled and as the bottles and beer was cold I do not think I have lost that much gas.

I know if it were kegged it would not be a biggie, still who knows there may be a budding genius with a misspent youth out there. Wait a minute that sounds like me.

I think by cooling everything you probably prevented some carbonation loss, but if it were me, I would have just brought the larger bottles and poured carefully from them, leaving the sediment and the last 1/4" of beer behind.

I have tried that in the past but after they have been in the car for I/2 hour they did get shook up somewhat. The beer I did transfer was not bad albeit a bit shy on gas.

I will move on to another idea. In the mean time I will just serve my beer to guests here. It was my birthday yesterday (66) and after many samples I am now undecided as to what to brew next.
Lager - Draught - Dark Ale. I only have enough bottles left for one batch 200 x 750ml bottles stored.
I have been toying with brewing a Stout for next winter (June here).

Ahh! the stress of deciding, its all go here.

The best way to prevent sediment in bottled beer is to bottle from kegged beer after it is carbed into chilled bottles using a counter-pressure filler. If you don't have one you can get very good results using a piece of tubing on your tap that goes to the bottom of the bottle with very low pressure on the keg. I just disconnect the CO2 and bleed it off if I am filling just a few bottles and not changing my CO2 Pressure regulator so I won't loose the setting to maintain proper carbonation for that keg.

Don't have a keg system. Reason I love my beer and I would not trust myself.
I put a couple of bottles 750ml in a fridge in the morning to have in the everning.

You are right as a local brew shop uses a method of storing beer in a cold room allowing clients to bottle from kegs pre gased. That would be the best method.

Ahh well! I will ponder the problem over a brew tonight.

Cheers

Back