Choices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fa1321tx

Reaction score
Choices

I am considering buying a used refrigerator. I have a Sanyo 4911 that was going to be used as a kegerator but now I have some things to consider and would like your opinions and pictures if you have them.

I want 2 refrigerators so I can ferment in one and put kegs in the other. I have been looking around and can pick up a used full size fridge for under $100 and put it in my garage. I think the Sanyo will only fit 1 carboy this means only one brew at a time but it will fit 2 kegs on the other hand if I use the full size to ferment the freezer section is worthless right?

It would be nice to use the full size for ice to cool wort the fridge part for kegs and bottled beer and even reharvested yeast could be stored. Door taps are cheaper than the tower faucets too.

Your comments please! ( life is so hard!)

The 4911/4912 will fit 2 soda kegs and a 5lb co2 tank if you arrange it right.

As far as door taps, yeah they're cheaper. Even cheaper yet is cobra taps. No drilling! ;)

Nothing is sexier than a tower tap with a nice tap handle and seal forward faucet, though.

I was kicking an idea around that seems like it would work...

If your budget affords it, buy a big chest freezer and plug it into a temp regulator. In theory, the freezer should only kick on when the temp is below what you set.. say 60 degrees F. I know a freezer is designed to get temps, well, below freezing... but with a temp regulator couldn't you keep it at a good fermenting temp, and maybe fit 3 carboys in a big one?

This idea may suck, but I think I'm on to something with it. Seems good in theory, anyway.

texasgeorge said:

If your budget affords it, buy a big chest freezer and plug it into a temp regulator. In theory, the freezer should only kick on when the temp is below what you set.. say 60 degrees F. I know a freezer is designed to get temps, well, below freezing... but with a temp regulator couldn't you keep it at a good fermenting temp, and maybe fit 3 carboys in a big one?

This idea may suck, but I think I'm on to something with it. Seems good in theory, anyway.

I have seen some good deals on used freezers too but I know they have a diffrent freon to get those low temps and I am not sure it would function very well or last at higher temps of 60F

texasgeorge said:

A lot of people have made kegorators out of chest freezers!!

Link to conversion thread
Kegconv.jpg

:mug:

Fermenting one batch at a time really limits my output & I know the Sanyo 4911 only holds one fermentor. So using the larger fridge to ferment seems to be the best choice but also seems like a waste not being able to use the freezer.

Back