I am way too easily annoyed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
This seems like a safe place to ***** about something pointless.

When talking about yeast, I HATE when people say "yeasts". The pluralization of yeast is YEAST. Yes, there are a billion cells, but it is still called YEAST.

I also don't like when people talk about grain and they say, "I mashed my grains..." but technically that is ok.

/rant

I heard one today that bugs the hell out of me "Winningest"

Yes, I know it's not even suposed to be a proper word, but come on!!!! Winningest? I'm gonna start using the word "mostest"....and I expect to be taken seriously!!

fail-owned-spelling-fail3.jpg

I heard one today that bugs the hell out of me "Winningest"

Yes, I know it's not even suposed to be a proper word, but come on!!!! Winningest? I'm gonna start using the word "mostest"....and I expect to be taken seriously!!

The word 'winningest' is actually accepted in some dictionaries. It is becoming more and more accepted. Sometimes words that just look and sound terrible make it into the vernacular.

This seems like a safe place to ***** about something pointless.

When talking about yeast, I HATE when people say "yeasts". The pluralization of yeast is YEAST. Yes, there are a billion cells, but it is still called YEAST.

I also don't like when people talk about grain and they say, "I mashed my grains..." but technically that is ok.

/rant

Your losing you're temper again.

Man, it makes me cringe just to type that.

Although yeast is considered non-countable and lacking a plural; when you discuss types of yeast, the types are countable. So, saying, "I used three yeasts in my barleywine." would be correct.

Although yeast is considered non-countable and lacking a plural; when you discuss types of yeast, the types are countable. So, saying, "I used three yeasts in my barleywine." would be correct.

+1 on your grammar

I would say, "I used three types of yeast in my barleywine." Saying 'three yeasts' is just lazy.

I hate it when I loose my yeastes', irregardless( I know this bothers someone) of what younse all thunk about it

Younse? The only people I have ever heard say that are from mid- western PA. That was always weird to me. People in my neck of the woods(Philadelphia area) always say youse. Which also isn't correct.

My buddy told me today he is leaving for vacation at "7 a.m. Saturday morning." My face contorted as if I had eaten year-old bread.

After the sarcasm-laced response I gave him, he won't make that mistake again.

I hate when people refer to a baby's age and say it is one years old. It's bothered me for as long as I can remember. If there is only one of something, how can it be plural? AAAAH it drives me nuts!

Irregardless may be a word but it shouldn't be.

That's why I used it.:D There is a thread just like this one only the word is Irregardless

Younse? The only people I have ever heard say that are from mid- western PA. That was always weird to me. People in my neck of the woods(Philadelphia area) always say youse. Which also isn't correct.

Sw Pa actually, about 15 miles south of Pittsburgh;)

When grammar gets me all pissed off I relax with a nice cup of expresso.:mad:

Sadly if enough people mis-pronounce a word it becomes acceptable http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/espresso

Yeah Webster's grinds my gears with all the variants they allow! :mad:

Another word like that is nausea. Used to be something would make you nauseated, but now you can be nauseous also. And just because enough people made that mistake, suddenly I'm wrong. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nauseous

A rare exception there, that is the English version creeping back into American English! What the hell is going on!?.... Room is spinning, making me nauseous! ;)

Back