Fermenting Temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nosnum

Reaction score
I know this is going to be a very general question but here it goes. I have brewed two batches, one was supposed to get down to at least 1.016 but it only got to 1.021 or so. My other batch got down to around 1.018 or so which was alright. My question is generally, is 70 degrees alright for fermenting? I know this is very general, but for ales there has to be some sort of rule of thumb right?

Also, I know I am going to have to get a fridge in order to brew during the summer. Are there any suggestions? I have seen a Sanyo one mentioned quite a few times because you can turn it into a kegerator. Would this be the path I should go? I do plan on kegging once I am a comfortable brewer!

Thanks

-Mark

What were your Original Gravity readings for your 2 brews and what type of yeast did you use for each?

Nosnum said:
I know this is going to be a very general question but here it goes. I have brewed two batches, one was supposed to get down to at least 1.016 but it only got to 1.021 or so. My other batch got down to around 1.018 or so which was alright. My question is generally, is 70 degrees alright for fermenting? I know this is very general, but for ales there has to be some sort of rule of thumb right?

Also, I know I am going to have to get a fridge in order to brew during the summer. Are there any suggestions? I have seen a Sanyo one mentioned quite a few times because you can turn it into a kegerator. Would this be the path I should go? I do plan on kegging once I am a comfortable brewer!

Thanks

-Mark

Welcome to HBT:mug:
70F is good for most ales depending on the yeast you used. I like 68F for my ales. As far as your gravity discrepancies, more specifics about your recipe will help(style, ingredients, pitching temp, fermentation duration, etc.). Do a search on the Sanyo on this site and you'll find plenty of info. Freecycle and craigslist are good places to look for fridges. As far as temp control, get a 2 stage controller. I wish I did. That way you can cool in the summer and heat in the winter. I've only been brewing about a year but someone with more experience will probably chime in.

What you are looking for is the yeast's attenuation. Attenuation is basically the ammount of sugar the yeast is able to convert in the wort. This is different for each yeast strain and is listed on the company's website. Here is what White Labs has on the subject.

You're FG is dependent on the level of attenuation the yeast can provide along with how many fermentable sugars you have. Temperature does play a part, but it is usually when you ferment too cold. They yeast will stop working at lower temperatures. I've seen most people recommend 64F - 70F for fermenting ales with most ale yeast strains.

If you tell us what yeast you used, the OG, along with a rough outline of the recipe (e.g. 6 lbs liquid extra + 1lb or 2lb of steeping graings), then some people will be able to tell you if there is anything for you to worry about.

have you calibrated your hydrometer with distilled water? are you taking gravity readings at the appropriate temperature or adjusting your readings based on the temp when measuring?

Back