Got some questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm fresh meat when it comes to brewing. I've made one batch of mead that everyone wanted to try so it wasn't aged. It was bad, namely because it was way to sweet. It was a 1 gallon batch and everyone said to START with 1 cup of honey to backsweeten. Was it too sweet because it was too much honey? Or would aging have reduced the sweetness?
Next, I want to always have a batch brewing, so I want to bottle age so my carboys are free for fermentation. If I let it finish fermenting and stabilize, add KMeta, Ksorbate, and clarifier, will it be ok to bottle age? Or will there be a lot of sediment in the bottle?
I do it in my cellar so there is little-to-no change in temperature, so that isn't a concern with the bottles.

I REALLY want to bottle age so that I don't have to wait over a year to make more (it's too much fun!). I also don't want it like "dessert wine", as my aunt said.

Finally, can I sweeten by the bottle? I have family that like very dry wine, so I want to keep a couple of bottles drier for their gifts.

Thanks guys!

You posted this in the wrong forum. This is the beginning BEER brewing forum. You will probably get more help by posting this in the Mead forum.

The complexity and smoothness of a mead can only be obtained by aging.

You can make a quicky mead, but it's not going to taste anywhere near as good as one that's properly aged.

What yeast did you use, and how long did you ferment and age this first one?

@rklinck:
Sorry, I didn't notice that there were child forums.

@Admin or moderator:
Please be so kind as to relocate this thread :)

@TopherM:
I used regular Fleischmann baking yeast. It fermented for just over 2 weeks, then stopped on its own. It was very dry, almost like liquor. It was not aged at all, really. I know age is important and I want to age, but I want to bottle age so I can make more and more. I'm also very concerned about the sweetness. If it wasn't so ridiculously sweet, it would have been pretty good. If you want me to post my recipe, let me know.

Back