straining hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellysrepairs

Reaction score
brewed my first full batch of american cream ale last night woo hoo. used hop pellets from kit. at end of boil and cool down used funnel w/screen to transfer into fermenter. scraped hops of screen and discarded them (were cloging screen) my question is , should i not have screened? is it gonna change my beer? and in what way?

No,it's all good. I have plastic FV's,so I use a large fine mesh strainer to gt hops,& any other grainy gunk out going into primary. Pouring through the strainer in a circular motion will also aerate it better. Doing so makes it look like rain coming out the bottom of the strainer. Plus less trub in primary means more clear beer coming out...:mug:

Its personal preference. I just dump everything in my fermenter. It all settles out in 3 weeks anyways. Doesnt affect the beer badly as far as I can tell.

I have dumped everything into the fermenter, but then you a have a deep layer of trub to contend with. I now put my hops into a 5 gallon paint strainer bag clipped to the side of the pot. It make siphoning much easier and I have not noticed any loss in hoppy goodness.

Back