BIAB sort of

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menerdari

Reaction score
I know it takes away from the simplicity of standard BIAB with one pot but my choices are limited.
My problem? don't have a large enough pot to do the traditional BIAB method.
My thoughts/options
1.Split my grains in half and mash in two separate pots then combine the wort in my 7-1/2 gallon pot for the boil.
2. mash with less water in my 7-1/2 gallon then sparge (similar to the partial mash method) either in a seperate pot then combine or in the same pot.
I just can't afford a bigger pot right now and I would like to get this cream stout in the fermenter soon so I can have it ready for Christmas.
Thoughts?

I do a variation a BIAB myself....I mash the grains in one pot and then dunk sparge in my other pot with the remainder of water(I basically remove the bag from pot and place it into the other pot. open the bag - stir so the 'fresh' water mixes well with the grains) then wait for 10 to 15 minutes....then squeeze the heck out of the bag while its suspended in a colander over the sparge pot. I then pour one pot into the other and start my boil. Easy as pie...

Dunk sparge as per above or just pour the sparge water over the grains (see if you can put a colander over the top of the large pot to support the grains) into the large pot.

Dunk sparge as per above or just pour the sparge water over the grains (see if you can put a colander over the top of the large pot to support the grains) into the large pot.

I actually have a colander that fits over the pot perfectly.

I know it takes away from the simplicity of standard BIAB with one pot but my choices are limited.
My thoughts/options
1.Split my grains in half and mash in two separate pots then combine the wort in my 7-1/2 gallon pot for the boil.
2. mash with less water in my 7-1/2 gallon then sparge (similar to the partial mash method) either in a seperate pot then combine or in the same pot.
I just can't afford a bigger pot right now and I would like to get this cream porter in the fermenter soon so I can have it ready for Christmas.
Thoughts?

These red statements seem to be contradictory. I just made two batches BIAB with about 11 pounds of grain in each and mashed them in my 7 1/2 gallon pot. I do know from previous batches that I don't have a very large boil off but I never seem to get DMS in my batches either.

These red statements seem to be contradictory. I just made two batches BIAB with about 11 pounds of grain in each and mashed them in my 7 1/2 gallon pot. I do know from previous batches that I don't have a very large boil off but I never seem to get DMS in my batches either.

This is my first BIAB attempt, I am basing what I said by what I have read online. It seemed that most say you need a minimum of a 10 gallon pot preferably 15 gallons to accommodate the required amount of water along with 11 lbs or so of grain.
If my 7-1/2 gallon pot will work that would simplify things :)

I plugged 11# of grain into Promash and assuming a 5 gallon recipe the total mash volume is roughly 7.5 gallons or about the size of your brew pot so you'll need 2 pots or at least I would....

I thought the point of BIAB was to do smaller batches in one pot. When I've done it, it was 2.5-3 gallon batches in my 5 gallon kettle. It works out really well. I think Norther Brewer sells 3 gallon BIAB kits.

The point of BIAB is to simplify brewing with all grain, not batch size, from what I have read true BIAB requires only one pot and a bag to mash your grains in.
As it stands I already have the Cream Stout all grain kit, 5 gallons will be brewed by hook or by crook

I put 6 gallons of water in my 7 1/2 gallon pot and bring it to strike temp while I mill my 11 pounds of grain. This leaves me about an inch above the grain and water when I have all the grain stirred in. Wrapped in a towel it maintains the temperature quite well for an hour mash. I remove the grains and squeeze out all the wort I can, leaving me with nearly the 6 gallons of liquid (I squeeze hard). Boiling it on my stove I only bring it to a boil and then turn it down to a low rolling boil. Once that hour of boil is done I will still have over 5 gallons of wort. I chill it to pitching temperature, dump all of it into the fermenter, dump it all back to the pot, and once again dump it into the fermenter to aerate it. I never worry about the trub in the fermenter since it will all settle to the bottom during the ferment.

Haven't brewed it yet, as it turned out I have to work all weekend, on the plus side that gives me money for a bigger pot:)

My thoughts/options
I just can't afford a bigger pot right now and I would like to get this cream stout in the fermenter soon so I can have it ready for Christmas.
Thoughts?

Do Both.

I did stove top brewing in 2 pots before getting a kettle and burner.

I also do sparge, put some hot water on a pot, put the grain bag in that after the mash, and soak and stir it up a bit. Drain and squeeze and you will get additional sugar. The larger the grain bill, the more sugar recovered.

Back