Bottles/Pints per person at party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellmtbbq

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been thinking about brewing the beer for my mother's 80th birthday party next year, along with cooking a whole hog for thr first time (although I've been doing competition BBQ for years)

If the party had an average age of 65, and started in the early afternoon till 9 or so, how many pints or bottles should I do per person per hour? I don't had a kegerator but may build one this fall. I wanna start with plenty of time so I can make some great brews and save some money

Thanks

You gotta know your family. At our family reuinions, on my dad's side, there's not much drinking and I'd put the rate of consumption to be .05pints/person/hour. On my mom's side (counting some extended folks), there's 4 or 5 big drinkers and probably 15-20 casual drinkers. Because of the non-drinkers that will be there too, I'd say it's close to 1 pint/person/hour. The casual drinkers probably drink for a few hours though.

Either way, if you're kegging, play it safe and brew 30gal. Bring the rest home and reap your rewards for a while.

I'm tempted to just ask when pudding cups are served and how many will be watching Matlock. Realizing that you might not be amused...

I'd seriously just plan on 2 per person (not per hour, total). I don't see the typical over 30 crowd slamming the homebrew. Worse case, if the consumption is high pop over to the nearest grocery and grab a case of what type of beer they seem to like. Or...use it as a great excuse to get a 2 tap kegerator into operation!

If I were there, I'd be in heaven with your BBQ and a couple beers, wouldn't need or expect anything else.

If you serve more than 4 beers per geriatric, you're basically guaranteed to have someone break their hip and sue you.

Oh boy, I cracked up on this one.

So just to have plenty enough for 60 people I'd probably do three 5 gallon batches. I'm like nine months away but I'd love to do her favorite beers, I'm not a commercial beer drinker at all but I figure I'd do a Sam Adams Boston Lager clone (NB makes a Marblehead Lager AG Kit), a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale type beer, and something else. Probably just a lite American for the average BMC drinker. Thanks for the advice

6 beers per person. That's over estimating, because, well hey, you get to take them home and drink them later. The larger your batches are, the less you'll spend since you'll be buying in bulk, and hey this is a great reason to do so!

I DJ alot of weddings and deal with alot of an*l (<-- this looks more dirty than the actual word!) wedding planners, and I know that wedding halls typically give open bar ballpark quotes based on 3 drinks per person for a 4 hour open bar. That's about average for normal mixed company.

That might sound low to your average homebrewer, but the big drinkers and non-drinkers negate each other, leaving your average granny who will sip on a beer for an hour so she doesn't have to wear her Depends that day.

For an 80th birthday party, I think this number would be between 2-3, but if you are Irish Catholic or something like that, you obviously have to up those numbers!

Thanks Tropher, no Catholicism. :D I'm currently a one gallon brewer (I have a setup for five gallons, just I'd be brewing once every six weeks if I did 5 gallon batches) so it'll give me an excuse to make a lot of beer. :mug:

Is this a math story problem for the GMAT? The answer is Pi (3.14) beers per person.

get some extra 5-6 gallon carboys asap. Start a batch of Apfelwein and continue making a batch each month till the party. Along with the other beer goodness that you can make- make the pipeline over floweth

Had a backyard party a few weeks back. At most 30 people. I chilled 2.5 cases of homebrew 12oz bottles.

We went though all that, 3 liters of rum, half liter of gin, 2.5 bottles of wine. I estimate there was a case, maybe 1.5 cases, of beer brought in with people as well. Of that, about 10 were left.

If you converted all that to beer alone, maybe 7 cases of beer (abv wise) for 30 people over 4 hours. This was more a "mix and mingle" crowd too. No beer pong or quarters that night ;)

Back