What size carboy or bb to go with first?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogie

Reaction score
Just got into brewing with my first extract kit and although I know secondary is not really all that necessary, the general consensus is that it does make the beer a bit more clear. My question is that since it will be for secondary and possibly used someday in winemaking, should I just go with a 5 gallon for my first or move on up to a 6? I won't need the additional headspace in brewing because it will be used as a secondary, and it's not recommended to have a lot of headspace when making wine ( will be making 5 gallon batches). Am I on the right track here?

I have a 5 gallon and two 6.5 gallon carboys. Like you, I thought that I needed a 5 gallon to do secondaries and I absolutely hate it. I suppose that if I ever do a fruit beer or something like that, perhaps it might make sense for me to use the 5 gallon as a secondary. But, at this point, I really wish that I had 3 6.5 gallon carboys.

Also, do a forum search for "extended primary". I think you'll find that the consensus isn't so much that no secondary is required, it's that an extended time in the primary, a month perhaps, yields better results than the traditional short time in the primary and then longer time in the secondary.

I would avoid glass no matter what your choice. Can always just secondary into another bucket also. I have a 6.5 carboy that came with my starter kit and I wish I had asked if I could swap it for a BB or just another bucket. Its heavy and slippery plus a pain to clean. Always afraid I was going to break it. I found a good deal on craigslist for a bunch of 7.5g fermentor buckets with lid and 3pc airlock for $15. Bought 3 and will probably go back and buy a bunch more. The guy used to own a winery and has 100+.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably end up going with a 6 gallon, still not sure if I'll go with glass or a BB though.

I would avoid glass no matter what your choice. Can always just secondary into another bucket also. I have a 6.5 carboy that came with my starter kit and I wish I had asked if I could swap it for a BB or just another bucket. Its heavy and slippery plus a pain to clean. Always afraid I was going to break it. I found a good deal on craigslist for a bunch of 7.5g fermentor buckets with lid and 3pc airlock for $15. Bought 3 and will probably go back and buy a bunch more. The guy used to own a winery and has 100+.

You can get Brewhaulers to cary the glass carboys, cleaning them is easy with Oxy Clean and a Buon Vino Spray Wand. Plastic Scratches and its alot easyer to get an infection. The negitives of plastic, in my opinion are more then the positives

I have glass, I have broken a carboy... and I still love glass. I can clean it with whatever, use as much force as need be, and never have to worry about not getting it clean enough to harbor an infection. Plus, it looks awesome.

To each their own!

I have a 6.5 for priimary and a 5 gallon for secondary (used to be two fives, see above comment about breaking one). I feel like this is a great setup, but again, it has more to do with personal preference than right or wrong.

Consider what batch sizes you plan to do in the future. Since I like to brew more than I can drink (at least so far) I did a 1/2 batch for my last brew. I bought a 3 gallon carboy and so far so good. :rockin:

although I know secondary is not really all that necessary, the general consensus is that it does make the beer a bit more clear.

You can certainly use a bright tank ("secondary" is a misnomer) if you'd like, but I would say that "the general consensus is that it does make the beer a bit more clear" statement is incorrect.

There is nothing "magic" that would happen to the beer to cause it to clear better simply by moving it. Think of it this way- pretend you made spaghetti sauce and it's better the next day. (My grandma always moved the sauce from a larger bowl to a smaller bowl whenever she could, like there was a prize for this.) Anyway- the sauce was awesome. But it was just as awesome in the original container. Nothing happens in moving a substance to a new container- instead, it is simply time and gravity that does the work.

The same is true of beer. Moving it to a new container doesn't cause it to fall clear better/faster/more, but it also doesn't harm the beer if proper precautions to not oxidize it are taken. But I can't think of anyone who would tell you with 100% certainty that it would produce a clearer beer.

You can certainly use a bright tank ("secondary" is a misnomer) if you'd like, but I would say that "the general consensus is that it does make the beer a bit more clear" statement is incorrect.

There is nothing "magic" that would happen to the beer to cause it to clear better simply by moving it. Think of it this way- pretend you made spaghetti sauce and it's better the next day. (My grandma always moved the sauce from a larger bowl to a smaller bowl whenever she could, like there was a prize for this.) Anyway- the sauce was awesome. But it was just as awesome in the original container. Nothing happens in moving a substance to a new container- instead, it is simply time and gravity that does the work.

The same is true of beer. Moving it to a new container doesn't cause it to fall clear better/faster/more, but it also doesn't harm the beer if proper precautions to not oxidize it are taken. But I can't think of anyone who would tell you with 100% certainty that it would produce a clearer beer.

While I understand where you are coming from, I think it does help to some extent due to none of us being perfect at racking. We don't need much yeast to ferment priming sugar into co2, but its really easy to pick up a lot of sediment and extra yeast when racking out of the primary. If you have something in between a primary and bottling bucket that is another opportunity to leave more sediment behind.

While I understand where you are coming from, I think it does help to some extent due to none of us being perfect at racking. We don't need much yeast to ferment priming sugar into co2, but its really easy to pick up a lot of sediment and extra yeast when racking out of the primary. If you have something in between a primary and bottling bucket that is another opportunity to leave more sediment behind.

This. While I know it won't magically (or chemically) remove any of the sediment floating around or clear up an actual cloudy beer, it would most certainly remove some that you tend to stir up when racking.

Back