specific gravity question???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffski123

Reaction score
Ok, i just started home brewing and currently brewing my first batch of a English mild ale. I read online that i should check the SG daily and monitor it. I took a OG reading and waited 24 hours to check the SG. At the time the fermentation process seemed to be on track, nice bubbling in the air lock and a nice thick foam on the top the the carboy. About 5 hours after i checked the SG the bubbling slowed down allot and the foam is gone. The air lock is still bubbling just really slow 1 to 2 times every 10 mins or so. Did i mess up the batch? Im freaking out! Should i worry?

First off, I'm sure your beer is fine, Mild doesn't have alot of fermentables to begin with, so the krauzen may not be vigorous or last long.

Second, you recieved bad advice about checking S.G. Wait untill most signs of fermentation are done before even thinking of checking an S.G. On most of my beers I check the gravity at around three weeks, sooner for wheats or small beers.

There is no reason to check gravity all the time unless you are just interested in watching the number drop. Plus every time you take a gravity reading, you increase your chances of an infection.

If you are brewing an extract beer from a kit, it is not even necessary to take an OG, as the amount of available fermentables are already calculated, and there are not variables to worry about like mash efficiency. I haven't taken an OG in over two years.

cheers. Pez.

EDIT. wait a week, take a gravity. Take another gravity in three days. If it hasn't changed, you can bottle.

RDWHAHB!

Your yeast buddies know what they are doing...

Unless you have a deadline (other than you just want to taste your delicious homebrew!:D) I would let it go AT LEAST 2 weeks before taking a gravity reading. And even then, I suggest 3 to 4 weeks before bottling.

In the meantime, plan your next batch, and search for Revvy's thread on the rewards of patience. We've all been there.

Enjoy!

Thanks, I have noticed that alot of first time brewers freak out like i am.... I will try to relax and let it do its thing.

Ditto to what's been said. Do what ISLAGI said " plan your next beer ".
Nothing more satisfying than drinking the beer you made while making
another (except having the smoker going also). Just remember,

RELAX, DRINK A BEER

Back