How to clean a plate chiller without a pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgstiffler

Reaction score
I bought a plate chiller with the plan of gravity feeding it, but how do I clean it without a pump? Just submerging it probably wont be enough.

I was thinking maybe connecting my autosiphon to it and hand pumping some PBW through it. Would probably do the trick I think. Thoughts?

I have a 50 plate chiller and I use my garden hose. Full blast in both directions until it looks like everything got flushed out (i.e. the water runs clear for at least 30 seconds). Then I fill it with sanitizer and let it sit while I finish pitching yeast. Empty the sanitizer and throw it on the shelf until the next brew day.

Buy and adapter so you can screw your garden hose into the "wort in" connection. I would submerge it in a bucket of either PBW or Oxyclean and let it sit over night. Then backflush.

I spray mine out with a hose first then let it soak in my brew kettle with Pbw overnight then rinse.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have hose adapters for mine, so I'll flush with the hose, soak in PBW, and flush with the hose again. Before each batch I'll soak in sanitizer.

Flush it after every use with the garden hose, then bake it in the oven for 45 minutes at 400F.

Back