I added too much corn sugar in my ipa toss it or ferment it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyveedub

Reaction score
I wasnt paying attention to my scale and I added about 1.75 lbs of corn sugar to an ipa that I made with a grain bill of 9lbs 2 row, and 1lb each of carapils and crystal 40. Is it worth it to keep this going (I'm boiling right now) or should I toss it and start over tomorrow?

Holy crystal malts batman! Not that I have issue with light use of crystal malt, but I am making my pale and ipa's without an ounce of crystal and they are awesome!!!

coming soon...to a fridge near you!

Holy crystal malts batman! Not that I have issue with light use of crystal malt, but I am making my pale and ipa's without an ounce of crystal and they are awesome!!!

I didnt ask for criticism. A simple dump it or no would be appropriate.

andyveedub said:
I didnt ask for criticism. A simple dump it or no would be appropriate.

You forgot an apostrophe in "wasn't"

Seriously though, keep it. I'm sure it will still turn out well.

Keep it, might end up a little on the dry side but that's probably not enough sugar to cause "cidery" flavors.

Pappers_ said:
please just answer the question

;)

Hey, mash temp matters. Lower mash temp with sugar will equal a MUCH drier beer than high mash temp with sugar....

Already answered, so I feel free to comment now. I met the prerequisite.

Hey, mash temp matters. Lower mash temp with sugar will equal a MUCH drier beer than high mash temp with sugar....

Already answered, so I feel free to comment now. I met the prerequisite.

Damn, you're fast.

Of course it matters. Just like adding two pounds of crystal malts matter. :)

mhenry41h said:

Easy killer, I wasn't picking on you. I'd never dump a beer until I tried some first. I'm just pointing out that you might not like the beer with all of the "caramelly" sweetness that you're going to have.

2lbs of crystal malts isn't THAT bad... I usually use 1lb in my IPA and APA and it's not sweet at all - I tend to mash a little on the lower side so maybe that balances it. I can't say that I've ever used 2lbs in a 5G batch, but I can't imagine it would be the end of the world. I've read many accounts where 2lbs or more was used and the brewer says it's all good.

I have seen many recipes with much more than 2lbs of crystal. Also, I dont think I've ever made a recipe without at least 1.5lbs. My IPA's always score high in competition.

Ferment it. Drink it. It'll be fine. Maybe even better than you expected. The hops are going to be very pronounced with the extra dryness, but that sounds great to me.

I have seen many recipes with much more than 2lbs of crystal. Also, I dont think I've ever made a recipe without at least 1.5lbs. My IPA's always score high in competition.

That's great if you score well in competition with them. It's just surprising that a recipe for an IPA would have nearly 20% crystal, that's all. I rarely use crystal in an IPA, but if I do I don't go over 5%. That's probably why people commented on it. It's just really unusual.

Corn sugar will improve the beer- because you may have needed it to get to IPA OG territory anyway. If I only used 11 pounds of grain, I'd only get an OG of about 1.055 or so, with my fairly low efficiency!

Back