Very Cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
I just did a golden ale all grain 10 pounds of pale with .75 pounds of wheat I have never used wheat before and didn't know if I should have used rice hulls. I posted my recipe in the recipe forum asking but no one replied so I didn't also this was my first batch that I used my corona mill on there was plenty of husk left and I recirculated like crazy till there were no solid particles at all but I couldn't get rid of the cloudiness. Is this because of the wheat? I don't mind if it is cloudy but I'd like to know opinions. My recipe can be found here.

Belgian Style Golden Ale

Ingredients

10 lbs. American 2 Row Pale Malt
.75 lb. Wheat Malt
1 oz. Cluster 60 min.
.5 oz. Tattenanger for 25 min.
.5 oz. Hallertau at flameout
1.5 tsp. Irish moss
White Labs Belgian Golden Ale Yeast WLP570

Brew Process

Brewed on 2/18/2007

Mash grain in 3.24 gallon water at 153 degrees for 1.5 hour. Mash out at 170 degrees.
Sparge with 7 gallons of 170 degree water
Heat wort to 212 degrees.
When wort temp. is at 212 degrees add cluster hops(60 minute hops).
At 30 minutes to go add Tettenanger hops(25 minute hops).
At 15 minutes to go add the Irish Moss.
Turn fire off and add Hallertau hops(flameout hops).
Cool the wort and pitch the yeast at around 80 degrees.

Fermentation

Gravity of last runoff was 1.005 corrected to 1.017 for temperature.

Pre-boil gravity of the 6.5 7gal. of the wort was 1.044 corrected to 1.051 for temperature

Final gravity was 1.062 corrected for temperature

there is nothing you can do the beer is going to remain cloudy because of the protein in the wheat. have you ever had a commercial hefeweizen before very cloudy.

have you ever had a commercial hefeweizen before very cloudy.

I always thought that it was because hefe yeast doesn't flocculate fully...

From White Labs:

This famous German yeast is a strain used in the production of traditional, authentic wheat beers. It produces the banana and clove nose traditionally associated with German wheat beers and leaves the desired cloudy look of traditional German wheat beers.
Attenuation: 72-76%
Flocculation: Low

None of my beers clear until they are cold conditioned for at least a week or two. Then the protiens coagualte and settle out and they become crystal clear, even with a weighty wheat grain bill, up to say 40%.

The Pol

I don't know, but I've used small quantities of wheat malt or wheat flakes in many beers that ended up being crystal clear, so I really don't think that .75 lbs of wheat malt is your issue.

I have a recipe posted in the recipe section called Drowning Wasp, it has about 40% wheat in it, and it is crystal clear... protiens will settle out.

So it's just a waiting game and conditioning thing. I havn't done one this light in color yet either so I'm not sure what to expect.

Latest posts

Back