Decanting proteins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertbartsch

Reaction score
So chilling the wort after the boil is important to "qwag" the proteins but should I attempt to leave them behind when transferring the wort to the fermenter?

My question comes from the fact that during the cool down, my brew pot is in a water bath in the sink and I stir it to cool it quickly. If I need to decant the proteins, I need to let the wort rest after stiring for 20 minutes or so; right?

I believe some people stir but try to create a whirlpool effect to concentrate the proteins in a little cone on the bottom of the pot. A forum search should turn up some answers.

I don't worry about how clear my beer is, so I can't help you much there.

I've always been told that you need to cool the wort as quickly as possible and add to the fermenter which would rule out letting it sit for 20 mintues, plus I'm not sure how much anything would settle out in just 2 minutes. I always finish the boil and chill as soon as I get it hooked up to the CFC.

If you're looking for clearer beer you might want to conisder a fining(irish moss, whirlfloc, etc..), cold crashing, and a longer secondary.

Back