Qusetion about Dregs??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krelja

Reaction score
I'm in the process of making my first sour. It seems like fermentation has slowed down and I'm going to transfer it to the secondary where it's gonna sit forever. I pitched the batch using roselare and I wanted to use some dregs from Rodenbach Gran Cru. How do I go about doing it? Do I just drink it down to the last bit and dump them in? Do i amke a pseudo-starter with some boiled DME then add that? I've tried searching but haven't found to much. I've been saving my rodenbach so I could throw it in my secondary to help add some more sourness

FWIW there are no viable bugs in Rodenbach, get ahold of something else to use

ie Red Poppy, Cuvee Rene, JPumpkin, etc etc

also, theres no viable bugs in duchess either

So what do I do with them? Just dump them in make a starter?

You can make a starter, or just dump them in the beer

I only make a starter with them if I will use them for the primary fermenation, otherwise I just add the dregs

Ryan's right, but I'll add that if you want to speed up the process, making a starter will increase the amount of viable bugs since they'll be pretty stressed in such an alcoholic environment.

Back