HERMS Coil Placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
Before I start, yes I've used the search feature and I could have missed it, but I'm looking for dimensions everyone is using for their entry and exit holes specific to their HERMS coil.

I have a Keggle for my HLT and will most likely be doing 5 gal batches the majority of the time. How far apart should the holes for the coil be? I couldn't find any specific info for dimensions on the keggle. Thanks in advance!!

I don't think it really matters as long as the coil is submerged, and your holes are at least the height of your coil apart from each other. I'd suggest bending the coil first, putting it as low as possible in the HLT, marking where the holes need to be and going from there.

That's part of my problem. I'm limping into this HERMS build a little because of cost. I'd like to take all the keggles to my welder at the same time to have them welded up since he said it would be cheaper that way, and more convenient for both of us. I plan on using 25 ft of 1/2 OD copper, anyone care to give me their dimensions if you're using a similar setup? I won't be using the coil for a while, until I can get some more money freed up but I'd like to get it welded up soon so I can use the MLT and the BK.

I'm looking to build up a new HERMS, right now I'm running 25' 3/8 copper in a 18qt cooler with a 1500w 120vac element in it. I want to build my next system using a Keg HE/HLT. but I am concerned about the large volume in the HLT and the temperature control.

Right now I have found that will my small volume HE, I have a lot of control, and can raise my temps fast, and stop them quickly. so I want that same responsiveness in my bigger system.

My plan is to confine the coil (25' 3/8 copper) to the bottom 1/3rd of the keg, and only add 2-4 gallons of water to it during the mashing step. I will heat the sparge water in the boil kettle and transfer it to the HLT/HE after my mash out.

This way during the mash I don't have to control the temp of the total volume of sparge water to control the mash temp.

Latest posts

Back