Fruit-Based Wheat Beer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munsoned

Reaction score
I brewed a wheat beer last weekend (you may have seen my post a few days back on the resulting explosion). :p

Anyway, this weekend I'm planning to rack from the primary into a secondary onto apricot preserves.

My question: should I re-aerate the wort when doing this since I'm really looking for another round of fermentation, or should I try to keep the aeration to a minumum to reduce the chance of oxidation?

If I had to guess, I'd bet that the beer has enough oxygen in it still for the yeast to do its thing, but I'd love to hear others thoughts...

Thanks!

I agree with both above.

However I would recommend that you take caution with your apricot preserves. Some preserves are not really 'preserves' but are really just thickened jams with un-fermentable corn-syrup added (with preservatives).

Read the ingredients label and make sure your apricot preserves are preservative-free...otherwise you might end up with a really sweet beer.

I brewed a wheat beer last weekend (you may have seen my post a few days back on the resulting explosion). :p

Anyway, this weekend I'm planning to rack from the primary into a secondary onto apricot preserves.

My question: should I re-aerate the wort when doing this since I'm really looking for another round of fermentation, or should I try to keep the aeration to a minumum to reduce the chance of oxidation?

If I had to guess, I'd bet that the beer has enough oxygen in it still for the yeast to do its thing, but I'd love to hear others thoughts...

Thanks!

Yeast needs oxygen to propagate, but not to consume the sugars.

Awesome. Thanks all. BTW, I misspoke when I said preserves. It's really just a 3 lb. can of apricot puree (the stuff that you can get at almost any HBS or online). It's preservative-free, but thanks for the insights on that anyway!

After you let it sit on the fruit for a few weeks, you may want to rack off the fruit to a tertiary for a few days, then to the bottling bucket. I find that helps keep the fruit out of the bottleing bucket.

Definitely do not aerate. That will only increase chance of oxidation and staling. Not qualities you want in beer.

Back