FG readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fullerton

Reaction score
This is my second batch. I did not use a hydrometer on my first batch (I didn't want to take "unnecessary" risk the first time out).

In any case, what is the proper method for taking a FG reading from the primary? Should I pour it into a glass or siphon it? I didn't know if disturbing the sediment on the side of the carboy would be an issue or not. One of the biggest things I read about is sanitation so I'm leary about putting anything in contact with the brew. Thanks.

Get a wine thief or a standard turkey baster. Sanitize thoroughly.

I presume you got a sample flask (looks like a graduated cylinder) with your hydrometer...? Over the sink, use your thief of baster to fill the sample flask two-thirds full. Drop your hydrometer into the sample flask and give it a spin with a flick of the fingers. Spin several times to de-gas the sample. Read the meniscus and record the result, correcting for temperature if required.

Easy!

Bob

Don't pour it! You don't want to aerate or stir up the sediment. They sell things to help, like a wine thief. I still just use a sanitized turkey baster, though.

Back