mini kegorator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would look in the classifieds for a free or cheap fridge. That one may be a little small seeing that it has the freezer, and for $125.00 you would be getting ripped off. If you are going to go with a new one go to lowes

lowes? the cheapest fridge they have is $129 (online) and its only a 2.5 cu. ft.
please explain? or any other ideas?

i have been trying to find a used one but no luck , + i think a new one will probably look nicer
i want to find one for under 200 or its kinda pointless i might as well buy a pre-built setup.

Just keep an eye on craigslist. Depending on where you live, you should see one that will work there, eventually.

I'm using a full sized fridge I got off there in the garage as a kegerator. It will hold six cornies. I paid $75 for it, but if I had waited, I could have gotten a better fridge cheaper.

i had the older model of this GE fridge for my first kegerator. it was pretty much the same but mine had the regular size freezer. i had to bend the freezer part up in the middle to fit a single corny in the fridge.

after years of use it broke and i replaced it with this:

Walmart.com: Haier 4.6 cu. ft. Refrigerator and Freezer, Stainless Steel: Appliances

its $25 more than the GE, but its a litte bigger, and its stainless steal. you still have to bend the freezer up, which is always a risk, but i am able to squeeze 2 cornies in it (barely). it also has a reversable door, and the thing looks the balls.

for my conversion kit i got it from beveragefactory.com and am pretty happy with it. good luck !

thanks for the link , i have been searching local classafied's and found a used 7.5 cu.ft chest freezer , for $75 and its only 2 years old , is it too much of a pain to get the tempature controler installed , nothing fancy the analog style turn dial one looks good enough to me as long as it gets me within 5*, but i dont know anything about installing one i have been searching for temp controlers and ranco's on ebay but dont know wich one to get. im trying to go for cheep here , but what should i be surching for?... i have electrical exp.
i can wire up anything ... a diagram is nice .. but i have a meter so i can figure out how it works :)

(just checking on all the prices , ideas , exc before i start building)

wreckin ball , with your kegorator can you fit a poney keg in it? whats the max size of co2 tank that will fit?

thanks for the link , i have been searching local classafied's and found a used 7.5 cu.ft chest freezer , for $75 and its only 2 years old , is it too much of a pain to get the tempature controler installed , nothing fancy the analog style turn dial one looks good enough to me as long as it gets me within 5*, but i dont know anything about installing one i have been searching for temp controlers and ranco's on ebay but dont know wich one to get. im trying to go for cheep here , but what should i be surching for?... i have electrical exp.
i can wire up anything ... a diagram is nice .. but i have a meter so i can figure out how it works :)

(just checking on all the prices , ideas , exc before i start building)

Is this going to be used for lagering or just storing/dispensing?

Look on ebay or craigslist for at true beverage t-stat. Pull the freezer t-stat cap line out of the sense tube and slide the TB stat cap line in. The electrical connection is probably exactly the same for both t-stats. This will be fine for storage/dispensing. (about an 8 deg. range)

I keep my Keezer/kegorator in an un heated garage so I need to heat as well as cool. I have an analog dual stage Johnson controls T-stat wired up with a 100watt lamp for heating and a season switch. (doesn't heat and cool, heats or cools)This quite a bit more work but definitely not uber difficult.
Again, Ebay is your friend!

wreckin ball , with your kegorator can you fit a poney keg in it? whats the max size of co2 tank that will fit?

yeah i can fit a quarter barrel in it, sitting it atop the hump in the back that covers the compressor. ( you need to prop up the front of the keg to hold it there) but it works fine. i dont though, because i cut my sanke connector off the beer line and exclusively use it with cornies.

with the GE i was able to fit my 5 lb co2 tank in the fridge, because i could only get one corny in there. with the new Haier i can fit the two cornies, but because of that i had to drill a small hole and run the co2 line out the back and keep my gas tank outside of the fridge.

Used for dispensing only.

Thanks for all your help , is this a tstat controler? or will it work. to controle the chest freesers temp?

HONEYWELL REMOTE BULB TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER T675A 1565 - eBay (item 260353216820 end time Feb-03-09 06:33:33 PST)

also , my tower only has 1 tap so , 1 corney at a time would be fine.

This is the style (mine's a Johnson Controls) thermostat that I have on my keezer/kegorator.(the word controller usually indicates some level of programmable logic)
This is not a direct replacement for the OEM thermostat. The sense bulb will not fit into the sense tube of the fridge/freezer.It will require a fairly extensive though not difficult rewire of the cooler.
The single pole, double throw (SPDT) feature is what allows you to heat OR cool with addition of a season switch. There is no dead band with this stat, it will either be heating or cooling at all times. (you don't have to use both sides of the throw).This thermostat will also allow you to adjust the differential from 3 deg F to 10 deg F.
You certainly won't need 20 feet of remote line, but it won't really hurt anything.

PM Me if you need/want any more specific help.

Back