American IPA Blood Moon IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this for a coast trip my my shop and I are taking in September. Started on the 30th of August, dryhopping today. Can't WAIT to try this beer! I'm an IPA fanatic, and this was too easy for beginner brewers like myself and my husband!

Thank you, thank you! It smells super legit and delicious already! I can't wait to see everyone's reactions!

Sounds like your trip will be excellent :drunk:

Here's my take on the Blood Moon IPA that is merrily bubbling away in the fermentor as I type. Obviously there are some departures from the original recipe, most notably the batch size and the late addition of all malt extract. Also using WL California Super Yeast cause I think the label is cute...

Not sure if it was the adjusted batch size or the late addition that caused me to overshoot the target OG of 1.061, but mine came out at 1.071.

The sample taken post boil was quite tasty and had a really fantastic color - I regret not taking a picture! Going to ferment in my chamber at 70 degrees F for 14 days and see where things are at.

The reason I went for a 2 gallon batch? I have limited space right now and really didn't want to clean a runaway krausen up so I left plenty of headroom in my 3 gallon Better Bottle!

Figured since it's not truly the Blood Moon IPA but a close relative I would call my version the Half Blood IPA!

Will update as things progress....

Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 2 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 2.5 gallons

STATS:
Target OG: 1.061
Actual OG: 1.071
Target FG: 1.013

FERMENTABLES:
2.4 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (late addition - 15 min)
0.8 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light - (late addition - 15 min.)

STEEPING GRAINS:
0.4 lb - Belgian - Caramel Pils (11.1%)

HOPS:
0.4 oz - Cascade , Boil for 60 min
0.2 oz - Cascade , Boil for 15 min
0.2 oz - Citra, Boil for 15 min
0.2 oz - Galaxy , Boil for 15 min
0.2 oz - Cascade , Boil for 5 min
0.2 oz - Citra, Boil for 5 min
0.2 oz - Galaxy , Boil for 5 min
0.4 oz - Cascade, Dry Hop for 6 days
0.4 oz - Citra, Dry Hop for 6 days
0.4 oz - Galaxy, Dry Hop for 6 days

YEAST:
White Labs - San Diego Super Yeast WLP090

OTHER:
Whirlfloc, 0.5 tab at 15 min.

What temps are you guys pitching your yeast for this one ?

I pitched at around 70° and kept my fermentation temp at 68° using the method shown in the attached picture. note, beer in picture was not the ipa, it was a chocolate milk stout i made.

2013-12-29 13.48.59.jpg

I pitched at 79 wanted to pitch at a lower temp but got called in to work so just said to hell with it. Its been 24 hours my closet smells awesome no bubbles in airlock yet but the water shifted showing thiers pressures a brewing

This recipe looks amazing, I think I will try it for my next batch. I was throwing around the idea of adding orange peel to the final 10-15 minutes of the boil. Any opinions on how that would come out?

Or turning it into a double IPA by adding dextrose and bitter orange peel along with doing two or three dry hops sessions

Or turning it into a double IPA by adding dextrose and bitter orange peel along with doing two or three dry hops sessions

I'm in the works of making a Double IPA recipe out of this. I already have the recipe, I just need to make it and sample it before I share it! I do like the orange peel idea. :mug:

Let me know how it comes out. I'm about to move across the country so it will probably be a little while before my next brew. I have time so see if it works for you

My first IPA recipe after making many extract kits. Named appropriately for the time.

6lbs LME - Light
2lbs DME - Light (Late addition, last 15 minutes of boil)

1lb Belgian - Caramel Pils (Steep for 30 minutes at 155)

Total hops (3 ounces Cascade, 2 ounces Citra, 2 ounces Galaxy) <--- All hops are pellet

1 ounce Cascade @60min
1/2 ounce each of Cascade, Citra and Galaxy @15min
1/2 ounce each of Cascade, Citra and Galaxy @5min
1 ounce each of Cascade, Citra and Galaxy (Dryhop for 6 days after fermentation complete)

fermented in primary for 2 weeks. fermentation temp controlled at 68 degrees. At 2 week mark I dry hopped for 6 days by adding pellets directly to primary (no bag). Bottled on day 20 and tasted just 5 days later. This IPA has much amaze.

I'm going to try and make this recipe this weekend, so here's my stupid questions - well, not really question; bear with me, newbie brewer here, so want to make sure I have all the steps down.

1) Steep the Caramel Pils in one gallon of water for 30 mn @ 155
2) Remove grains, stir in 6lbs of LME – Light, top up water to 3 gallons, bring to boil
3) After the boil starts, add 1 oz Cascade
4) After 45 minutes, turn off heat, add 2lbs DME –Light, turn heat back on, ½ oz each of Cascade, Citra, Galaxy
5) After 55 minutes, add ½ oz each of Cascade, Citra, Galaxy
6) At 60 minutes turn off heat,
7) Cool to approx. 80 degrees, pour into primary fermenter, top up with room-temperature water prepared before-hand to 5 gallons, pitch yeast.
8) After 7-10 days, rack to secondary fermenter and dry-hop for another 6-7 days
9) Wait wait wait
10) Amaze friends and family with award-winning beer.

Sound like a plan?

I'm going to try and make this recipe this weekend, so here's my stupid questions - well, not really question; bear with me, newbie brewer here, so want to make sure I have all the steps down.

2) Remove grains, stir in 6lbs of LME – Light, top up water to 3 gallons, bring to boil
4) After 45 minutes, turn off heat, add 2lbs DME –Light, turn heat back on, ½ oz each of Cascade, Citra, Galaxy
7) Cool to approx. 80 degrees, pour into primary fermenter, top up with room-temperature water prepared before-hand to 5 gallons, pitch yeast.
8) After 7-10 days, rack to secondary fermenter and dry-hop for another 6-7 days
9) Wait wait wait

Sound like a plan?

Sounds good, everything I did exactly except I steeped my grains in 2 1/2 gallons of water. Also, if you want to try and pull more hop aroma/flavor I would do a hop stand at flameout. To do this simply turn off your heat at 60 minutes, leave your hop bag in your kettle and cover it. Set timer for 30 minutes.

I have been doing hop stands with all my hop forward beers lately and the results have been amazing.

Good luck and have fun brewing!

2) Remove grains, stir in 6lbs of LME &#8211; Light, top up water to 3 gallons, bring to boil
4) After 45 minutes, turn off heat, add 2lbs DME &#8211;Light, turn heat back on, ½ oz each of Cascade, Citra, Galaxy
9) Wait wait wait

Sound like a plan?

I'll add a few observations. Everything looks fine, but make sure the grain is crushed beforehand (seen this forgotten before by some newer folks!).

Also, like bowlersp said above, you can steep in 2.5 gallons of water, or 3 like you originally intended. More water isn't detrimental to steeping like it is in a mash.

Another thing, which I didn't learn for a while, is that when you add extract late, wait until the water starts to boil again before restarting your timers. With two pounds it shouldn't take long, but it is not negligible.

I don't know much about hop stands, so try it if you like, but I've made this beer twice and loved it each time, but anything to bring out more flavor is definitely a plus.

Happy Brewing!

Made this over the weekend! Basically made it exactly to the recipe above, although the OG came in a bit lower at 1.055. Maybe because I was doing a partial boil? Anyway, my observations:

- OMG having a wort chiller is the effin' bomb. Went from boiling to pitching temperature in 17 minutes.

- I made a yeast starter this time, and the yeast is going bonkers; definitely more action vs the previous times I've brewed without a starter...but what does this mean? Will the fermentation be done quicker? Do I end up with a 'better' beer?

Will report back in a week or so after racking to secondary and dry-hopping...

So I made this beer and it is, how do I say this... Really good!

I did modify the original Bowlersp recipe a bit to fit my 'On Hand' ingredients and to hit my desired FG so I took the liberty of renaming it... Here's what I did:

HALF BLOOD IPA

RECIPIE BASED ON:
Blood Moon IPA - Bowlersp - Homebrewtalk

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 2 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 2.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.036
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Measured Original Gravity: 1.061
Measured Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 6.38%
IBU (tinseth): 76.5
SRM (morey): 6.21

FERMENTABLES:
2.4 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (late addition at 15 min)(66.7%)
0.8 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light - (late addition at 15 min) (22.2%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
0.4 lb - Belgian - Caramel Pils (11.1%)

BOIL HOPS:

0.4 oz - Cascade Pellet, AA: 6.4 - 60 min
0.2 oz - Cascade Pellet, AA: 6.4 - 15 min
0.2 oz - Citra Pellet, AA: 11 - 15 min
0.2 oz - Galaxy Pellet, AA: 15 - 15 min
0.2 oz - Cascade Pellet, AA: 6.4 - 05 min
0.2 oz - Citra Pellet, AA: 11 - 05 min
0.2 oz - Galaxy Pellet, AA: 15 - 05 min

DRY HOPS:
0.4 oz - Cascade Pellet, AA: 6.4 - 6 days
0.4 oz - Citra Pellet, AA: 11 - 6 days
0.4 oz - Galaxy Pellet, AA: 15 - 6 days

YEAST:
White Labs - San Diego Super Yeast WLP090 (one vial)
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Pitch Temp: 67.5 nominal
Optimum Temp: 65 - 68 F

FERMENTATION:
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
2 weeks primary
1 week secondary after racking and dry hoping

CONDITIONING:
Bottled in 22 OZ bombers using Fermenters Favorites "Fizz Drops"

SO HOW DI IT COME OUT?

IMG_4408.jpg

FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!

I can't wait to do a 5 gallon batch of this and keg it. Heck, this will probably go into my forthcoming keezer as a House Brand beer!

Many thanks!

> IBU (tinseth): 76.5

IBUs seem a bit high?

I racked to secondary for dry-hopping last night - looks and smells amazing. Here were my numbers

STATS:
Boil size: 11 liters (2.9 US gallons)
Batch size: 20 liters (about 5 US gallons)
Measured Original Gravity: 1.055
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 5.63%
IBU (tinseth): 35 (<---- IBUs seem a bit low?)
SRM: 9.5

> IBU (tinseth): 76.5

IBUs seem a bit high?

I racked to secondary for dry-hopping last night - looks and smells amazing. Here were my numbers

STATS:
Boil size: 11 liters (2.9 US gallons)
Batch size: 20 liters (about 5 US gallons)
Measured Original Gravity: 1.055
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 5.63%
IBU (tinseth): 35 (<---- IBUs seem a bit low?)
SRM: 9.5

Could be a bit high - did you brew with the changes I made? Also, I did a full volume boil, that affect utilization as I understand it and the IBUS's would be diluted when a partial boil is brought up to final volume, right?

At least I think that's how it works...

Brewed this yesterday.

I tweaked the fermentables a little bit because I didn't read the OP's recipe right, and got a bunch of DME instead of LME, I also used 2lbs. of regular dark extract instead of 100% golden. Also subbed the German carafoam because my BAM was out of Belgian carapils.

1lb. German Carafoam steeped 30min @ 155F
6lb. Golden DME 60min
2lb. Dark DME 60min

1oz Cascade 60min
.5oz Cascade 15min
.5oz Australian Galaxy 15min
.5oz Citra 15min
.5oz Cascade 5min
.5oz Australian Galaxy 5min
.5oz Citra 5min

Will be adding another ounce of each to dry hop.

Wyeast 1056- American Ale smack pack pitched @ 70F
Target ferm. temp 68F

Before Boil: 6.6gal
After Boil: 5.75gal
Transferred: 5.5gal

OG: 1.075

Looking forward to this one!

Has anyone made this with just DME and no LME? How much DME would be used if I just use dme

See my reply above yours. I used 6lbs. Golden DME and 2lbs Dark DME. Finished at 1.012 and just kegged it. First samples were delicious, I can only hope that it will get better after a week or so to keg condition.

See my reply above yours. I used 6lbs. Golden DME and 2lbs Dark DME. Finished at 1.012 and just kegged it. First samples were delicious, I can only hope that it will get better after a week or so to keg condition.

It will get better trust me. Also, I have a new IPA recipe that I will post soon which is similar to this, but with more hops. I just bottled it last weekend and will open one up this weekend :mug:

I'll be using 5lbs of golden light DME and then 2lbs of breiss sparkling amber dme for this recipe Sunday. Can't wait to brew it!

I made this recipe last month exactly as the original post called and it turned out fantastic! I was a little unsure of myself as it was the first time I have dry hopped a beer but I will defiantly be brewing this one again.

I made this recipe last month exactly as the original post called and it turned out fantastic! I was a little unsure of myself as it was the first time I have dry hopped a beer but I will defiantly be brewing this one again.

How much water did use to steep the grains?

Brunoshad: I did a 3 gallon boil when I did this one.

Jakis: I did 6 days when I made this recipe. However, I am making a rye IPA right now and dry hopping for 10 days. I think 9 would be fine.

Hey guys - I'm just starting to adventure out from straight kit-brewing, and will be trying this recipe. I have a question though! What is the purpose of waiting until fermentation is complete before dry hopping? Why not dry hop right when you seal up the fermenting barrel?

What is the purpose of waiting until fermentation is complete before dry hopping? Why not dry hop right when you seal up the fermenting barrel?

I googled this topic and found some hints of why dryhopping in secondary (or at least after the active phase of primary fermentation is over).

Firstly, dry hopping will be less efficient during krausen. Krausen is a sign lots of CO2 being produced and bubbling out of the beer. If CO2 is leaving the beer, so is your hop aroma. The point of dry hopping is to increase your hop aroma, so you don't want it bubbling at all anymore by the time you add your dry hop addition, because this will decrease the effectiveness of the dry hopping as the CO2 will carry away the aroma molecules. After about a week in primary for most ales, the foam should settle and dissipate (https://homebrew.stackexchange.com/...-dry-hop-when-forgoing-secondary-fermentation).

Secondly, some authors agree that dry hopping in secondary decreases the chances of contamination or beer. If the hops are added to the secondary fermenter then the alcohol content and the low pH of the beer will suppress bacterial growth.

Brewed 5 gal batch of Blood Moon IPA today, strictly per recipe. Hop aroma is overwhelming, can't wait to taste the final product. :mug:

Also new. why the dme @15 remaining

I'll answer this and the other question:

For the DME at 15 minutes, this is done for a couple of reasons. The first is that the longer that extract is boiled, the more maillard reactions occur in beer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction
These reactions darken your beer, which is why it is difficult to create truly light-colored beers with extract. It will not make your a blonde an amber, but it does occur. This effect can be lessened by added the extract later, or doing a full-boil (not adding water at the end), which can be tough in kitchen brews. I tend not to worry about this.
The second reason is more critical, and it is that the specific gravity of the wort in the boil affects the IBU contributions of hops. I don't have beersmith in front of me, and I always forget the directions things move, but if you. If you don't care about hitting the color of your beer exactly, then just check with an IBU calculator to make sure that if you move all the extract the beginning that you end up with the right IBU's.

to the secondary-or-not and why wait on the dry hop, Dreamiurg was mostly correct, but I disagree with his point at the end. Hops and high alcohol environments do help with contamination, but transferring to secondary is riskier than primary-only. That said, I prefer to rack IPA's to secondary because I have read, and have only limited anecdotal evidence, that if you accidentally dry-hop for over 7 days on an active yeast bed, it can get weird. I've thought of asking Brulosophy.com to investigate this.

Hope that helps!

ZB

Back