American IPA Summer IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Burton Ale (#WLP023
Yeast Starter
Y
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 65°F
Tasting Notes
Easy drinking, flavorful IPA...perfect for a hot summer day
note unconventional batch size (3.75 gallons)

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 3.75 gal
Estimated Color: 6.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.013
ABV: 6.2%

Grist
6 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter - 77.6 %
1 lbs Pilsner Malt - 11.9 %
8.0 oz Munich I - 6.0 %
4.0 oz Carahell - 3.0 %
2.0 oz Acidulated Malt - 1.5 % (for mash pH)

Hops
10 g Magnum [13.10 %] - 60.0 min
14 g Cascade [6.10 %] - 15.0 min
14 g Citra [12.30 %] - 15.0 min
14 g Amarillo [9.30 %] - 5.0 min
14 g Cascade [6.10 %] - 5.0 min
14 g Amarillo [9.30 %] - flameout
14 g Citra [12.30 %] - flameout
14 g Motueka [7.10 %] - flameout
28 g Amarillo [9.30 %] - dry hop (4 days)
14 g Motueka [7.10 %] - dry hop(4 days)

Yeast
Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023)

Mash Schedule
Single Infusion, 152°F, batch sparge

ipa.jpg

I really like the looks of that! The hops aren't muddled, with the variety you have?

(Damn metric system- and you mixing up pounds and grams. It will become clearer after another beer, I'm sure. :D)

Yooper said:
I really like the looks of that! The hops aren't muddled, with the variety you have?

(Damn metric system- and you mixing up pounds and grams. It will become clearer after another beer, I'm sure. :D)

The hops work really well together - a lot of citrus and tropical fruit. Sorry about the mixed units! I just find it more precise to measure hops in grams, especially for the bittering addition. 28g = 1oz and 14g = 0.5oz

Let me know how it looks after that next beer. :)

Cyclman said:
Sounds delicious, one question to educate me, why the pilsner, does it make an impact?

The pilsner adds to the malt character and lightens it up a bit. Not sure how much of an impact it truly has, but I've heard of several breweries doing this, so I thought it was worth a try.

How does the burton ale yeast come off in an IPA? I thought it might overwhelm the typical IPA hoppy characteristics.

How does the burton ale yeast come off in an IPA? I thought it might overwhelm the typical IPA hoppy characteristics.

The yeast worked fine in this brew - at least, it did not seem to detract from the overall beer. It's hard to say how much character it gave in the end since this brew was dominated by the hops. I used the English strain after hearing about a number of commercial breweries doing it (e.g. Lagunitas), but this beer would certainly work well with a more "traditional" yeast for American IPAs like wlp001. :mug:

Looks great! Double everything for a 6-7 gallon batch? I'm looking to do a 6 gallon size and have a good solid IPA on tap through my "seasonal" tapper.

Looks great! Double everything for a 6-7 gallon batch? I'm looking to do a 6 gallon size and have a good solid IPA on tap through my "seasonal" tapper.

That should work OK, though you might end up with a slightly bigger beer in the end. You might try only 1.5x this recipe for 6 gallons.

Looks awesome! I have been wanting do do an IPA with some pils and I happen to have all those hops in hand too, except Moteuka. Would Mosaic be a good sub for that?

One more quick question - if using a 1lbs of pilsner malt, is a 90 min boil advisable still? I see you have it as 60 still.

That said, I may do 50/50 MO and Pilsner, and if so I guess a 90 min boil would be a good idea probably, yes no?

Made this today - used US05 instead of Burton and ommited the pilsner for rye.

Made this 5 gallons, so OG is 1.046, for estimated 5%abv.
No Moteuka so so used Citra for flame out and did a hopstand with Cascade and Citra.

Really looking forward to drinking this in a few weeks!

Looks awesome! I have been wanting do do an IPA with some pils and I happen to have all those hops in hand too, except Moteuka. Would Mosaic be a good sub for that?

I have never used Mosaic, so I'm not sure. The Motueka hops were incredibly fruity - they lent an awesome aroma to this beer.

EDIT: Just realized I was slow to respond and you've already made the beer! I'm not on HBT much these days...sorry. I like your use of Citra and Cascade. You'll have an excellent aroma with those hops. With just the small amount of Pils malt, I never thought it was necessary to boil for more than 60 minutes. I've never noticed any DMS. Of course, since you omitted it, you won't either! The rye will add another dimension - will give it a bit of "bite". Cheers! :mug:

What is carahell? I don't see it at my LHBS, can you suggest a good substitution for that? Thanks

Thanks.

So I'm going to make a variation of this today. I changed the entire grist, instead of MO I went with 8lbs of plain old 2 row. For the carahell I subbed .5 lb of cara vienne and .5 of cara pils. I omitted the acidulated malt, munich malt, and pilsner malt altogether. Hopefully the malt will still be good.

For hops I'm bittering with .5 oz of Columbus instead of Magnum. I kept the citra, cascade, and amarillo hops but took out the Moetuka. For dry hopping Ill just use cascade and amarillo instead. I'm using US05 yeast also

Thanks again for the general recipe, I was looking for a tasty 3 gallon recipe and this one fit the bill nicely

Got my ingredients for this one today!! Took advantage of my LHBS monthly discount on 55lb bags of base malts too and got briess 2-row, pearl and marris otter

Brew day was uneventful and everything went according to plan. For my 3 gallon batch the OG ended up coming in a little high at 1.070, but I'm not complaining about that. Can't wait to try this out in a month of so this was my first time using citra and cascade hops so I'm looking forward to tasting the final product

I have never used Mosaic, so I'm not sure. The Motueka hops were incredibly fruity - they lent an awesome aroma to this beer.

EDIT: Just realized I was slow to respond and you've already made the beer! I'm not on HBT much these days...sorry. I like your use of Citra and Cascade. You'll have an excellent aroma with those hops. With just the small amount of Pils malt, I never thought it was necessary to boil for more than 60 minutes. I've never noticed any DMS. Of course, since you omitted it, you won't either! The rye will add another dimension - will give it a bit of "bite". Cheers! :mug:

No worries, thanks for the info anyhow though. I have been really digging rye in small amounts lately so thought I'd just go with it. I will try your recipe (with the pilsner malt) soon though.
Looking forward to see how it tastes so far (going to do a hydro sample later today).

Any updates on from anyone trying this recipe out? My brewing has taken a back seat these days, so I need to live vicariously through you!! :D

My sessionable rye version turned out really well. Gonna take it to my clubs meet up and get some judges feedback, but I would definitely brew this on again.

Brew day went great! Just finished clean up and got the 11 gallons settled in at 65 degrees in the chest freezer ferm chamber. Nailed the OG of 1.060. Now just gotta sit back, relax, and enjoy some home brew IPA's on tap while this one ferments out. CHEERS!

Wow! this looks great! I noticed you used acidulated malt for mash pH. Did you start with RO water?

The Acidulated malt helped me! I cut my water with my typical carbon filtered garden hose water with the other half purified drinking water by the gallon from Walmart. My Ph was dead nuts on and is usually a smidge too high using this method without the Acidulated malt.

4 day dry hop phase finishes for me tomorrow on this one. Can't wait to keg and get on the gas. Should be ready for consumption by Sunday while I brew up a 12 gallon Zombie Dust clone batch with my sister-in-laws boyfriend who is also a fellow home brewer. I'll be sure to post up the first sip results from that first pour.

Wow! this looks great! I noticed you used acidulated malt for mash pH. Did you start with RO water?

I do not use RO water, but like to use the acidulated malt to dial in my mash pH. I don't like to over use gypsum and/or calcium chloride. Since I've started using acidulated malt in my light-colored beers I have been able to avoid an off-flavor/astringency that I attest to too high a mash pH (and subsequent tannin extraction).

I do not use RO water, but like to use the acidulated malt to dial in my mash pH. I don't like to over use gypsum and/or calcium chloride. Since I've started using acidulated malt in my light-colored beers I have been able to avoid an off-flavor/astringency that I attest to too high a mash pH (and subsequent tannin extraction).

I have very chalky well water and am planning to use RO when I brew this this weekend. Would you recommend adding anything beside calcium chloride and gypsum if using acidulated malt?

I have very chalky well water and am planning to use RO when I brew this this weekend. Would you recommend adding anything beside calcium chloride and gypsum if using acidulated malt?

I've never used RO water before, so I really don't know how to build it up appropriately. I imagine using gypsum and CaCl2 will be enough. You want to make sure that you have enough Cacium, as well as some sulfates and clorides, which you will get from gypsum and CaCl2. You might consider looking around for how to brew with RO water though - I'd hate to give you bad advice!

Good luck! The more I'm drinking and smelling this...it has a very sweet fruity punch too it. Very nice!

Brewing this again this weekend.
The first time I couldn't find Motueka so I subbed extra Amarillo, but my LHBS had it this time so I'll give it a try. They smell awesome.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Back