Getting Started - Skip extract and go straight to BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pole

Reaction score
Hi! I've been lurking and reading extensively over the past month or so because I'm going to start brewing over the summer. I'm basically only stalling because SWMBO wants me to wait until after we buy a house, and that's not a terrible idea as we don't really have the space or means to control fermentation temps in our current apt.

Anyway, I'm wondering, are there any reasons why I shouldn't jump straight into BIAB and skip extract brewing all together? I'm very comfortable cooking, and I don't find the process intimidating in the least - I just don't have any experience brewing.

Secondly, I plan on brewing 5 gal batches right off the bat, and I want the flexibility to do big beers. Is a 10 gal BK big enough? I read someone did a Hopslam clone with a 21.5 lb grain bill, in a 10 gal pot with 8.5 gal of water, resulting in about 1 inch of headroom. Am I going to wish I had a 15 gal pot to do recipes with such large grain bills? (I haven't purchased a BK yet.)

Oh, and I plan on using a propane burner.

Thanks for making these forums so welcoming!

Congrats on the house! as far as equipment, go bigger than you think you'll need. I have a 7.5gal pot, but now wish I had gone bigger. I'm not able to make big beers unless I do a double mash or two mash tuns.

Just tasted my first BIAB beer. I found the process to be no more involved (other than that I did it outside) than extract/PM. If this beer is any indication, the AG is much better for me to produce a good beer. Not saying people don't make great extracts but my AG is better than anything I personally made with extract.

I just did my first BIAB, in a 9 gal pot, turned out ok but 10 gal would be better. My first all grain batch was a 1 gallon Brooklyn Brew kit. You can do it all on the stove and its a good learning experience .

I would suggest starting out by doing at least one extract batch. Just so you can get the basics of the process done.

How I started out was did 2 Mr Beer kits, then one extract kit from my lhbs, then did 2.5 gallon BIAB, and now I have a cooler mash tun and do full 5 gallon batches.

Ultimately what I would suggest is to start with whatever you think you'll be comfortable with

Also if you haven't already I would suggest watching someone else brew. Should be able to find someone that is brewing this weekend for AHA's Big Brew

Here is a link to a list of some Big Brews going on in CO http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/event-registration/2013-aha-big-brew-events

Jump in. If you're comfortable just do it. It's not that hard. First batch won't go smoothly I would guess, but it'll be fun to read about. Get a 10 gallon brew pot at least. But if you're planning on big beers get a big mash tun. A cooler is a good, economical way to go. I use a 60qt cube igloo cooler. I do 5 gallon batches (lately 6 gal) and there's plenty of room mash a bigger beer. I'm usually around 6-6.5% abv. Got cooler for less than $30.

I've only got 3 brews under my belt but if I cold start over, my first brew would be AG, BIAB and it would be something simple and lighter. That is what I did on #3 and I am now more excited than ever about brewing.

Welcome to the obsession Pole. May I suggest that, before you even consider starting into BIAB, do a few extract batches to get your process down and become comfortable with it.

Sanitation is certainly important. Pitching temp and fermenting temp have a much greater influence on the flavor of your brew than whether you mash grains vs. do steeping/extract. I'm glad to see that you mentioned the means to control fermentation temps. If you spend some money up front for a used freezer/fridge and set it up with and STC-1000, your ferment temp worries are over and you will produce better beer.

Also consider that, when doing AG/BIAB you will need the means to quickly chill 5.5-6 gallons of boiling wort to below 68*F. That means a wort chiller of some sort.

I'm looking forward to doing my first BIAB once I finish building my single vessel recirculating E-BIAB rig (control panel 95% done, keggle fittings on the way). I won't mind saying good-bye to 5.5 hour AG brew days.:D

Extract: What if it's bad advice? You feel kind of held back 'cause your really wanted to do partial. Turns out you were right and your could have done extract in your sleep and you feel you wasted time and you convince yourself your extract beer isn't as good as a partial would have been.
What if it's good advice? The whole brewing experience is a bit more immediate than you thought and it takes you a while to get the process down. You get to concentrate an one aspect without having too many factors involved.

Partial: What if it's bad advice? You get overwhelmed by the process and are a little humbled. You get a *lot* of information to mull over for you next batch. It was all a bit too much but you got through it.
What if it's good advice? Well, you get to do what you want and you were right all along.

So do partial. If it's bad advice, well, you'll learn a lot. And it's what you want to do anyway, isn't it?

Here is my two bits.

I went to a beginners class at the lhbs. My first home brew was a partial, which went real smooth. My second batch was all grain, it went smooth until my yeast didn't start for 9 days. All have been good and drinkable. I'm on batch 4.

My advice. Watch a brew happen. Then brew what you want. Take notes and then figure out what u can do better. My Brew buddy and I go over our brews while we r cleaning up and discuss what could go smoother/better. Each round has been smoother, quicker, and more efficient. Even on here you are gonna get different advice, find what works for you.

That and always listen to yooper.

I think you should go to all grain right away. No need to mess around with with extracts you won't ever need to use again!

That's what I did and no regrets.

Good luck, and get a pot that you can do 10 gallon batches in. Converted Sanke kegs work great and are affordable.

Honestly, the only thing that would have totally screwed me up doing AG-BIAB before extract is understanding what different mash temps do to conversion and how that impacts FG, and therefore the ABV and the sweetness v dryness of the finished beer. But if you do an AG following a recipe, and know that temps are important, that shouldn't be an issue, right?

I just started brewing at the beginning of the year and have done two extract beers that both turned out well. I'm about to do a partial mash wheat from Northern Brewer this weekend. In all honesty, I think it really depends on how comfortable you are with the whole process. I'm glad I did my first two as extracts, since I was able to work out some timing issues and get my system down, but that's just me.

I started brew back in February and started off with AG BIAB. I dont regret it one bit. Of the 2 batches I've done so far both have been excellent beers. I spent 4 months planning out what equipment to buy and watching video after video on Youtube on how to brew. I also bought How to Brew by John Palmer and read it through completely.

I would suggest if you want to go for it. Just make sure you get a big enough boil kettle, at least 10 gallon. I personally went with a sanke keg (15.5 gallon) converted over. Also get a good voile bag. There are several people on here that make and sell them.

Ramarok said:
I started brew back in February and started off with AG BIAB. I dont regret it one bit. Of the 2 batches I've done so far both have been excellent beers. I spent 4 months planning out what equipment to buy and watching video after video on Youtube on how to brew. I also bought How to Brew by John Palmer and read it through completely.

I would suggest if you want to go for it. Just make sure you get a big enough boil kettle, at least 10 gallon. I personally went with a sanke keg (15.5 gallon) converted over. Also get a good voile bag. There are several people on here that make and sell them.

And, not to sound like broken record, understand why mash temperature matters. That is the one thing I didn't quite get until the LHBS guy explained it to me...and then I read as much as I could on the topic.

EDIT: I feel the need to throw in my normal caveat here. I'm no expert. I've been brewing for a few months and have 3 brews to my name (not counting the 2-3 abominations my buddies and I made in college).

Go ahead and try a BIAB 1st batch....OK roughly speaking, 7 gal strike water at 160 degrees, add 10 lbs of grain and wrap the kettle w/ a few blankets for 60 - 90 minutes, stir well twice and remove bag, boil with hops and cool.

How hard was that...we're not exactly splitting atoms here folks...

wilserbrewer said:
Go ahead and try a BIAB 1st batch....OK roughly speaking, 7 gal strike water at 160 degrees, add 10 lbs of grain and wrap the kettle w/ a few blankets for 60 - 90 minutes, stir well twice and remove bag, boil with hops and cool.

That was my feeling after doing it. AG scared me until I looked into what's really involved. It's soaking grains and boiling water. 90% of it is the same whether you do AG or extract (ferm temps, yeast, sanitation, bottling...).

Just start doing 5 gallon all grain. I did 1 extract and then went all grain.

turkey fryer+mash tun = all grain

You don't need to spend a ton of money either.

Your turkey fryer will come with a 30ot brew pot. Just use your existing brew pot for heating sprage water.

Just jump right in and do all grain. Buy pilsbury dough mix or make cookies from scratch. lol flame on. hahaha

Soldevi said:
Just jump right in and do all grain. Buy pilsbury dough mix or make cookies from scratch. lol flame on. hahaha

Agreed! I started with AG at the advice of some HB buddies. Glad I did!

I would really recommend you getting a 15 gallon pot or converting a sanke keg. If you are like me then after you get a few 5 gallon batches done and find a recipe that you really like you will want to make 10 gallons at a time. It doesn't take that much longer and you get twice the beer.

Thanks for the info! That looks awesome, but unfortunately, we have plans already today.

Thanks, I'm considering the 60qt SS from the same manufacturer on that site.

This is how easy it appears to me as well. I really appreciate everyone's input so far!

Back