Cooling wort below 80F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPressure

Reaction score
I use an immersion chiller on full boils, I have no problem cooling the wort down below 100, but once it gets to the 90 or 80 degree mark i cannot get it any lower.

Any tips or maybe something im doing wrong? It just seems like it would take another hour to get it 10 degrees lower.

Edwort has a "how to" on a recirc pump through your immersion chiller that will help. It basically uses a fountain pump in a party tub of ice and water to recirc really cold water and get it cooled quick and not using as much water.

If you don't wanna use a pump, what i've done is spread the coils slighly to increase surface area. Then kind of swirl the chiller around in the pot. Recently, *epiphany moment* i realised that letting the chiller rest in the pot and using a sanitary paddle/spoon to get the wort swirling around the chiller works just as well.

With a 25' 3/8" chiller it takes me about 10-15min to get to 50F.

I use an immersion chiller on full boils, I have no problem cooling the wort down below 100, but once it gets to the 90 or 80 degree mark i cannot get it any lower.

At that point I put the kettle outdoors. Sometimes for all night.

If you don't wanna use a pump, what i've done is spread the coils slighly to increase surface area. Then kind of swirl the chiller around in the pot. Recently, *epiphany moment* i realised that letting the chiller rest in the pot and using a sanitary paddle/spoon to get the wort swirling around the chiller works just as well.

With a 25' 3/8" chiller it takes me about 10-15min to get to 50F.

I was going to suggest this as well. I use my mash paddle to circulate the wort around the IC and I'm typically below 70 in 10-15 min.

+1 on gently stirring the wort, esp when it gets to that point where it seems to stall.

Edwort has a "how to" on a recirc pump through your immersion chiller that will help. It basically uses a fountain pump in a party tub of ice and water to recirc really cold water and get it cooled quick and not using as much water.

+1 on this. I use an immersion chiller attached to my kitchen faucet to get the wort under 100F. At that point I attach my chiller to a fountain pump submerged in a bucket of ice water and recirculate the ice water. This will bring the wort down to 60F quickly. I have to do this because my tap water is 85F in the summer, but I do it year round.

Here is the thread describing the recirculating ice water chiller

Stir the wort the ENTIRE time you're running the chilling water. That will cut cooling time in half. I have to assume that in NY your tap temp is at least 50F or lower like it is in NJ so hitting the high 60's should be quick.

Stir the wort the ENTIRE time you're running the chilling water. That will cut cooling time in half. I have to assume that in NY your tap temp is at least 50F or lower like it is in NJ so hitting the high 60's should be quick.

Yup. As soon as the IC gets turned on, start stirring. Even in summer I typically get to 80F in 10 minutes by doing this.

Latest posts

Back