Building multi step starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Reaction score
I'm having some yeast sent to me from the Wibbler Brewery in Essex, England. They send you a 35mm vial of yeast, which I guess will be pretty thick slurry.

If I want to build this up to a starter and particularly if I want to overbuild to harvest some yeast again I know I'm going to do a couple of steps for the starter.

Can I just check if I should be cold crashing and decanting the liquid from each step of the starter as I build it up. I'm using the calculator at http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

For instance if I want to end up with a 2 litre starter and step up with a 1 litre and 1.5 litre steps. Should I be decanting off the spent wort, leaving just the slurry and filling it up to the next step's volume, or should I just be topping up the first step with an extra half litre each time?

Yeast pitching calculators basically assume that you are adding the # of yeast cells directly to fresh wort (1.036 to 1.040 SG). So you'll want to make a 1L starter, decant, and then top it off with fresh wort to 1.5L.

I'm having some yeast sent to me from the Wibbler Brewery in Essex, England. They send you a 35mm vial of yeast, which I guess will be pretty thick slurry.

If I want to build this up to a starter and particularly if I want to overbuild to harvest some yeast again I know I'm going to do a couple of steps for the starter.

Can I just check if I should be cold crashing and decanting the liquid from each step of the starter as I build it up. I'm using the calculator at http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

For instance if I want to end up with a 2 litre starter and step up with a 1 litre and 1.5 litre steps. Should I be decanting off the spent wort, leaving just the slurry and filling it up to the next step's volume, or should I just be topping up the first step with an extra half litre each time?

You should be decanting between each step, as the alcohol from the previous steps doesn't do your yeast health any good.

EDIT: I'm assuming the volume of your 35mm test tube of slurry is ~3mL of slurry at 2.5 billion cells per mL, so 7.5 billion cells to start with, and I ran it through the brewers friend calculator. You will want your first starter step to be 250 mL. As a general rule you don't want to grow your yeast cells by more than a factor of 10 in a single step. After that 250ML step, I would go up to 1L, then 2L

You should be decanting between each step, as the alcohol from the previous steps doesn't do your yeast health any good.

EDIT: I'm assuming the volume of your 35mm test tube of slurry is ~3mL of slurry at 2.5 billion cells per mL, so 7.5 billion cells to start with, and I ran it through the brewers friend calculator. You will want your first starter step to be 250 mL. As a general rule you don't want to grow your yeast cells by more than a factor of 10 in a single step. After that 250ML step, I would go up to 1L, then 2L

Sorry, that was a typo. It is a 35ml vial of yeast, not 35mm. I'm hoping there are maybe 50-60 billion viable cells.

I will make sure I decant off the old wort first.

Back