Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewster451

Reaction score
I've decided that I want to do an Imperial Stout. I want to use the recipe from the Joy Of Homebrewing, but Papazian calls for 6.6lbs of Muntons Old Ale Kit, which is hopped. I just don't like the idea of using a hopped extract. Does anyone know what malts, and how much hops I should replace it with?

10lbs light dry malt extract(save 3/4 of a cup for bottling)
.5lbs roasted barley
.5lbs chocolate malt
1 16oz jar of Grandma's Robust Flavor Molasses
6oz northern brewer hops pellets
2oz cascade hops pellets
2 packets of edme dry ale yeast

start with 1 gallon of water. steep grains in water(almost boiling) for 1 hour. once finished, add 2 more gallons of water, malt extract, molasses and northern brewer hops. boil for 45 mins. then add cascade hops for 15 mins. take off heat and let cool. pour into fermenter and add 2 more gallons of cold water. pitch yeast when wort is between 65-75 degrees. ferment for 1 week(mine fermented out in 24 hours, but i left it in there for a week anyway) it was a very strong, very dark brew. i loved it!! enjoy!!!

i made this one up, i thought it was awsome!!!

like a good imperial stout, it had a very noticable hops taste(to me anyway) i took the first bottle at about 3 weeks. was great. i finished the last bottle at about 8 weeks and it just kept getting better. very high ABV i think it was about 10%. i had a bet with a fellow home brewer that i could knock his sockes off and he used a kit beer. needless to say mine was the fav, even to him!! he loved it. i'll brew it again, but right now i have to get more extreme hop beers in my system!!!! try it, you won't be unhappy!!!

btw.... this was only my 3rd batch of beer ever. not bad i tell ya, not bad!

Back