Aging beer Carboy vs Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBrnDmgd

Reaction score
Just brewed a California Common and Beersmith tells me to keg, carbonate, age for 30 days. Would it make a difference if I left beer in the secondary carboy for 30 days then transfer to keg and carbonate? I have more carboys than kegs so it makes sense to me. Mike

Just brewed a California Common and Beersmith tells me to keg, carbonate, age for 30 days. Would it make a difference if I left beer in the secondary carboy for 30 days then transfer to keg and carbonate? I have more carboys than kegs so it makes sense to me. Mike

If you are limited in kegs, then yes, age in the carboy. I don't like to age beers, especially lagers, on the yeast cake, so I personally would rack to a secondary for aging.

If you are going to be brewing more lagers, then I would suggest tracking down some more kegs. I like to age in kegs, generally transferring to them after 2-3 weeks of fermentation

Back