Measuring water for wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscg4u

Reaction score
So I have a question I'm slightly embarrassed to ask, how does everyone measure out their wort and water when using a carboy as their primary? I just have the bucket right now, with the convenient gallon marks, but I'd like to get a second primary and I want to get a glass carboy. Unfortunately I only have a 4 gallon pot, but I have made it work so far.

I put some painters tape up the side of the carboy, took a measuring cup and started adding water. Each 1/2 gallon I made a tick mark.

And this related link for these:
tncarboycal.png

Cut Vinyl Decals

When I measure my volumes for any hotside activity, I use my mash paddle. I cut some small marks in my mash paddle since it's a wooden paddle my father made me. I measured it out in 2 increments for my brew kettle.

For my buckets, since I do 19 L batches, I put the bucket on a scale, zero-ed it out and then added water until it reached 19kg and marked that line.

Between those two, I seem to get it about right each time.

So I have a question I'm slightly embarrassed to ask, how does everyone measure out their wort and water when using a carboy as their primary? I just have the bucket right now, with the convenient gallon marks, but I'd like to get a second primary and I want to get a glass carboy. Unfortunately I only have a 4 gallon pot, but I have made it work so far.

Can you explain why you want to go to a carboy for you next fermenter? What are the perceived advantages that you see?

I can buy 3 plastic buckets for the price of one 6.5 gallon glass carboy, stack 6 or more empty ones in the space the glass carboy takes if I have them empty for some reason, drop them from counter height when empty and they are still usable, they come with a nice handle for carrying, and have this wide open top so I can get inside to scrub out that stubborn krausen ring. Oh yeah, they also have the gallons marked on the side already.:ban:

RM-MN said:
Can you explain why you want to go to a carboy for you next fermenter? What are the perceived advantages that you see?

I can buy 3 plastic buckets for the price of one 6.5 gallon glass carboy, stack 6 or more empty ones in the space the glass carboy takes if I have them empty for some reason, drop them from counter height when empty and they are still usable, they come with a nice handle for carrying, and have this wide open top so I can get inside to scrub out that stubborn krausen ring. Oh yeah, they also have the gallons marked on the side already.:ban:

Carboys are resistant to scratches (unlike plastic) so are less prone to infections and will last longer (a lifetime, if used with care).

Back to the OP's question, you could mark your carboy with measurements, if that is important to you. In addition to the good suggestions above, someone here did a thread with photos on etching his carboy with gallon markers.

Carboys are resistant to scratches (unlike plastic) so are less prone to infections and will last longer (a lifetime, if used with care).

And with one bad mishap, a trip to the emergency room will negate any lifetime savings.

And, as a good portion of my lifetime has already passed, my back likes the lighter weight of plastic. If they get scratched they will get used for something else.

RM-MN said:

Yeah I just think that a glass carboy will offer me a longer life than plastic buckets as long as I am careful with it. I mean obviously if I could afford to jump straight to a steel fermentor that would be the best option, of course I don't have 400+ to spend. Plus, I actually get to see my beer ferment instead of guessing what is going on inside of it through bubbles in the airlock.

[flame suit] ... better bottle ... [/flame suit]

/me runs for the door

-edit- to answer your original question, i have tape up the outside of my better bottles with markings for the volume (same method mentioned above, just pour in known qties and mark off at whatever resolution you want)

cheers,
D

Back