So maybe racking a 1.100+ RIS on top of a Breakfast Stout Cake wasn't so smart...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I put one in there after the fact. I was tired last night and wanted to get to bed. Didn't think it was be firing like that so quickly.

Wow that's crazy. I like how you keep pokin it and making it angry. I'd be cursing my head off and cleaning up ASAP but I appreciate you documenting it for us.

wow.

it looks like its spraying explosive diarrhea all over the place!!

I bet it tastes better than it looks...

Anything over 1.050 and I put in a blowoff tube. Almost had a disaster with a 1.079 beer pitched with two packs or rehydrated Notty and just the regular airlock.

I learnt my lesson - looks like you have too!!

NWMushroom said:
Anything over 1.050 and I put in a blowoff tube. Almost had a disaster with a 1.079 beer pitched with two packs or rehydrated Notty and just the regular airlock.

I learnt my lesson - looks like you have too!!

I just had a 1.046 pale ale blow the carboy cap off my beer and spray all over my fridge.

I've had 1.070 red barely show signs if krausen.

Sometimes you just don't know lol.

I hate fermenting big beers in a 5/6 gal carboy with a blow off tube. I did a 1.090 IPA with a blow off and lost well over a gallon of beer to blow off. What a waste. I have since began fermenting in a 10gal fermentor for all beers. If it's a big beer I will rack to a 6gal for secondary/aging. If it's a brett beer I rack to other fermentors for the long secondary. If it's a normal beer I'll do like 8gal in the 10gal fermentor and just rack from there to bottling bucket after cold crashing. Get a bigger fermentor trust me you will love it! Sure sometimes you might need a blow off tube but more often than not you will be fine.

What you guys all missed (what I failed to get on camera) was the continuous geyser that happened before this footage. When I initially opened my chamber to put the tube in I grabbed the airlock to remove it, and disturbing it set off a continuous stream of stout. I just stood and watched in dumbstruck horror/amazement. By the time I got my phone out it had fizzled down to the "after shocks" you see in the vid. I had to keep poking it until the pressure got down enough that I could pull out the airlock and insert a tube.

Its pretty clear that I've lost a gallon or so from this mess. After factoring in trub loss I'll probably walk away with maybe 3.5 gallons or so. Good thing I did a 10 gallon batch! On the plus side, for now anyway, the chamber smells awesome!

HAHAHA I couldn't stop laughing! poke... poke poke... poke HAHA!

You said you did 10 gallons did only one of the carboys react that way or is it a bigger fermenter than it looks?

smokinghole said:
I hate fermenting big beers in a 5/6 gal carboy with a blow off tube. I did a 1.090 IPA with a blow off and lost well over a gallon of beer to blow off. What a waste. I have since began fermenting in a 10gal fermentor for all beers. If it's a big beer I will rack to a 6gal for secondary/aging. If it's a brett beer I rack to other fermentors for the long secondary. If it's a normal beer I'll do like 8gal in the 10gal fermentor and just rack from there to bottling bucket after cold crashing. Get a bigger fermentor trust me you will love it! Sure sometimes you might need a blow off tube but more often than not you will be fine.

What vessel are you using? I would love to make 7-8 gal bat he's but dont want to dedicate 2 buckets (and my whole ferm chamber) to one beer. I'd love a taller bucket!

There are plenty of 10 gal buckets out there. Check your lhbs if they have any from bulk extract. Also bakerys tend to have them from time to time

yowza!...if i made that video there would've been a LOT of cursing in the background

for folks that aren't laidback (like waddsworth) about poking a yeast cannon, i'll throw my recommendation out there to split fermenters for a beer that big

love the video!

What vessel are you using? I would love to make 7-8 gal bat he's but dont want to dedicate 2 buckets (and my whole ferm chamber) to one beer. I'd love a taller bucket!

Right now I use a 10gal corney I lucked on to locally for $50. However there are 10gal buckets. I actually plan on getting one for a bottling bucket so I can fit split batches that I want to blend into one big bottling bucket.

Here's what northern brewer has.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/10-gallon-fermenting-bucket-and-lid.html

HAHAHA I couldn't stop laughing! poke... poke poke... poke HAHA!

You said you did 10 gallons did only one of the carboys react that way or is it a bigger fermenter than it looks?

The other half went into another 6.5G carboy, and was pitched with a large starter of WLP002. That one needed a blowoff tube (even with fermcap) after about 16 hours, but it was just a touch of krausen in the airlock. Fortunately when I split this batch, the split ended up being like 55/45, with the larger share going into the other fermentor. All told I should end up with about 9 ~ 9.5 gallons.

happened to me too. im about to throw an Imperial Porter onto an Imperial Stout cake in a few days, blow off tube is a must.

I've got one on my brown right now. I'm expecting a pretty heavy blow off. Close to 6 gallons in a 6 gallon better bottle. Here's to hoping I still have 5 when this is over. :D

Back