First Brew Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03flstfi

Reaction score
I am just getting back into brewing after a 15 year layoff. Does anyone have suggestions for a first recipe?

Well, I've got a couple. What do you want to brew? Do you want extract w/ steeping grains, partial mash, or all-grain? That would help narrow it down a bit!

At the risk of sounding like an assbag, why not brew your favorite type of beer? There was one recipe that has been well recieved on this board and I just made it, the Caramel Cream Ale. You could click the link in my signature if you like the flavors in it, it comes highly recommended by me, some stranger you never met.:D

Yeah.. go ahead and brew an assbag delight! :p

On the one hand, that was mean of me to say. On the other hand, you've never met me either! :D

Seriously, what do you like? Are you doing all grain or...?

I am thinking that for your first beer, you want something that will be ready quickly. Who wants to sit around waiting for months for their first brew? Maybe a hefeweisen- those finish fast, no secondary needed. Avoid honey as a fermentable, and have at it! Remember also, we're coming up on spring time.

Maybe also keep it light because the lighter gravity beers will finish a bit faster. Just my $0.02.

I have my first ever brew in the primary right now. I chose a belgian wit. I am hoping for a good brew. I am gonna use a secondary, so the waiting will SUCK< but I know it will be worth it.

Very nervous since it is my first rodeo. I am optimistic though. I have blueberry hefe on the way for my next batch!!

You can call me an assbag Toot. I can take it, I have thick skin. I like the self depricating humor and good natured ribbing that members here seem to embrace on this board without people getting their panties in a bunch.

How can you get upset with a bunch of people talking about beer???? Beer talk + beer + beer knowledge + ... wait, I'm terrible at math. Just make something tasty.

Hey, welcome back after the hiatus! Same boat here, but I've got 3 batches down since mid Jan. It feels great! I went with German hefeweizen myself (for 2 of the 3). They are going down so fast (kegs) that I'm feeling like I might want to buy wheat DME in bulk like HB 99 does!
Brew what you like to drink, after the initial wait you can get batches rolling and not have to go without homebrew!

I'm not sure what to brew?! I LOVE Corona! I am patient so I can wait, besides, I am a field service engineer so that means I'm gone during the week. Only have to time to brew on the weekends. Maybe a light ale? I need supplies too. A wort kettle, glass carbouys, bubbler, you know... "The Stuff". Any good suppliers out there?

cormi3r said:
You can call me an assbag Toot. I can take it, I have thick skin. I like the self depricating humor and good natured ribbing that members here seem to embrace on this board without people getting their panties in a bunch.

How can you get upset with a bunch of people talking about beer???? Beer talk + beer + beer knowledge + ... wait, I'm terrible at math. Just make something tasty.

Thanks for understanding. It wasn't a shot at you... just trying to have some fun. If I was taking a shot at you, I would've said something more along the lines of, "You wear your mommy's frilly panties".

So since I didn't say that, I obviously wasn't insulting you... mr frilly lady panty wearer.

:p

03flstfi said:
How about an "all-grain"? Is that one of the simplest or more consistent?

All-grain is probably the most advanced technique but anyone can do it. For a great resource, howtobrew.com can't be beat. I would recommend an extract kit for the first time, to get the process down.

For shopping, I buy at austinhomebrew.com or morebeer.com usually. AHS' kits have great instructions and everything you need and their kits have fresh ingredients. If you buy a kit for say, a cream ale, you'll get all the ingredients and good instructions for that beer. I've been happy with them.

I highly recommend a wheat beer. Bavarian or Belgium. Very smooth and well liked by a broad range of drinkers (men-women). I prefer Midwest Supplies. Maybe try a Blue Moon clone.

King of the Swill said:
I highly recommend a wheat beer. Bavarian or Belgium. Very smooth and well liked by a broad range of drinkers (men-women). I prefer Midwest Supplies. Maybe try a Blue Moon clone.
I'll third the Midwest supplies.

I just bought from Midwest. I am waiting on a hefe to arrive. Prices seem to be good and I have heard good reviews about them.

Thanks for all the info!!! Here I go off into the world of Worts and Wizards!

Latest posts

Back