Brainstorming: have an idea but need help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chillbrook

Reaction score
So the turkey fryer setup at canadian tire finally went on sale: 30qt aluminum pot with burner for $50....not bad at all. The thing is, a 30qt pot seems to be the absolute minimum for 5 gallon batches doing full boils....

So to deal with the problem I was thinking about some sort of "boil-over shield" made of a material that can 1) withstand the temperature, 2) create a seal around the rim of the pot and 3) have the effect of giving the pot another 5" - 6" or so in height.

How does the idea sound? Throw out whatever crosses your mind and maybe we'll come up with a solution....

I have that fryer kit (bought it before Christmas) and it really is a terrible pot. I only use it for heating sparge water. The metal is so thin that it deforms slightly when you lift a full pot by the handles. I would buy it just for the burner and to use it for heating sparge water, but definitely keep your eye open for a larger pot to replace it as your boil kettle.

I'm not sure how you'd go about extending the pot, I think you would need to get somebody to weld the extension and unless you know someone that would do that for free, you'd probably be better off putting the money towards a larger pot. I bought my 40QT commercial grade aluminum pot at a restaurant supply for $85. It's working out very well as a kettle (hopefully this won't turn into a SS vs aluminum thread now :) ).

bradsul said:
I have that fryer kit (bought it before Christmas) and it really is a terrible pot. I only use it for heating sparge water. The metal is so thin that it deforms slightly when you lift a full pot by the handles. I would buy it just for the burner and to use it for heating sparge water, but definitely keep your eye open for a larger pot to replace it as your boil kettle.

I'm not sure how you'd go about extending the pot, I think you would need to get somebody to weld the extension and unless you know someone that would do that for free, you'd probably be better off putting the money towards a larger pot. I bought my 40QT commercial grade aluminum pot at a restaurant supply for $85. It's working out very well as a kettle (hopefully this won't turn into a SS vs aluminum thread now :) ).

40 qts is a good for 5 gallon batches?

How does the burner from the fryer kit hold up with that pot? Think it could handle a keggle?

Chillbrook said:
40 qts is a good for 5 gallon batches?

How does the burner from the fryer kit hold up with that pot? Think it could handle a keggle?
I do 23L batches and have no trouble with capacity in my 40QT kettle.

The burner itself is very sturdy. I think if I were going to do 10G batches with a keggle however I would brace the legs with some angle iron or something to be safe.

I don't know what brand of turkey fryer you have, mine is a King Kooker, and it handles a Keggle with a 10 gallon batch just fine. So if you use the pot you have for now, keeping real close attention to possible boil-overs, and look out for a bigger pot or keggle, you'll prolly be fine.

This guys seems to be doing alright with his smaller pot. While you have to pay close attention to your boil this seems to work out fine for him....check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
CollinsBrew said:
This guys seems to be doing alright with his smaller pot. While you have to pay close attention to your boil this seems to work out fine for him....check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoo5UvVr-AQ

All that pumping is a lot of work. I line up shot glasses with cool water in them. Foam comes up, toss a shot it! The 1oz of cool water is enough to drop the temp enough that the foam instantly disappears. A little trick from forum member glibbidy there.
:mug:

Cool idea with the shot glasses. Coincidentally, a spray bottle is also handy for keeping the cats away from your wort....they really hate that thing!

CollinsBrew said:
Cool idea with the shot glasses. Coincidentally, a spray bottle is also handy for keeping the cats away from your wort....they really hate that thing!

So is a shotgun. Sorry, off-topic, I know. I couldn't help myself. Delete if you must.:D

I use a 7.5 gallon (30Qt) fryer for my 5 gallon batches with no boil over. Sure you gotta watch and stir and adjust the heat. But the speed with which a boil over moves, I'm not sure an extra few inches would make a difference.

I personally don't think you need to modify it. If you do, you need to pay close attention to irregular seams where bacteria could lurk.

The picture below is my post boil volume of 5 gallons. My preboil volume was 6.5 gallons...right at that upper handle bolt.

BoilPot.JPG

BierMuncher said:
I use a 7.5 gallon (30Qt) fryer for my 5 gallon batches with no boil over. Sure you gotta watch and stir and adjust the heat. But the speed with which a boil over moves, I'm not sure an extra few inches would make a difference.

I personally don't think you need to modify it. If you do, you need to pay close attention to irregular seams where bacteria could lurk.

The picture below is my post boil volume of 5 gallons. My preboil volume was 6.5 gallons...right at that upper handle bolt.

that's good to know; so 6.5 pre-boil ends up to be 5 gallons with a 60 minute boil?

well, dependin on how hard you boil it, what the humidity is.....all will affect your boiloff

I did quite a few 5 gallon batches with a 30qt AL pot (now have a keggle)

I did them on the driveway and kept a spray bottle with water in it to help control the boilover.

you can certainly do it, boilovers come fast (and an extra 3-4 inches probably won't make a significant difference, i've nearly boiled over in a keggle) so you have to watch it.

My 2 cents (so you know it will cost you more money).

If you plan to get into all-grain, which I say you should, you will want a pot that can boil 10 gallons. So look at getting a keggle set up. If this is the case, get a burner with enough btus to boil 10+ gallons and strong enough to hold the weight.

Chillbrook said:
that's good to know; so 6.5 pre-boil ends up to be 5 gallons with a 60 minute boil?
Depends on how hard a boil you have.

I find that there is a wide range of "rolling boils". From just barely rolling over to boiling like crazy and needing to be stirred often.

In answer to your question, I usually can get from 6.5 down to 5.25 (my preferred post boil volume) in about 70 minutes.

Brewpastor makes a good point. After doing a bunch of 5 gallon batches, I'm now assembling my 10 gallon equipment. Unfortunatley, that takes some time, luck and additional $$.

If you want to be brewing this weekend, that turkey fryer set up will get you going quick. Plus, when you do get around to a 10-gallon brewery...you still have a turkey fryer. :)

Latest posts

Back