cascade vs. argentine cascade confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbatch

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to brewing and made the mistake of using regular cascade (5.4 AA%) instead of what the recipe called for, argentine cascade (~3.5 AA%). I didn't realize it was an entirely different hop, I just thought it was a fancy imported version, and any variety would do ... :mad:

it was solely a bittering addition, 2oz at 60 mins. I'm making a saison. did I screw up this beer? for the record, I'm using the wyeast 3711. in fact, here's the recipe: http://www.brewingtv.com/recipe/2010/7/15/le-saison-noire.html. I'm sure whatever comes out will taste like beer, just wondering what it is I might have brewed.

Bittering hops tend to not matter as much when it comes to the aroma/taste of the hop, but you did nearly double your IBU's. If you let it age a bit the bitterness will drop out over time. I did a similar wrong substitution brewing an amber when I was starting out brewing, and when bottling it was horribly bitter, but about 8 weeks later it was a very good beer.

It'll be much more bitter if you still used 2 oz of the higher AA hop.

That's not a ton of AA's, but even though it's a dark beer (mainly from .5lb of Carafa III) there aren't a lot of roasted malts to balance it out, especially with pilsen being the base malt.

Back