Good Hops for an Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, for an Irish stout (or almost any stout), I wouldn't plan ANY hop additions other than your bittering addition. Roasted malts and hop flavor/aroma don't usually work very well together, certainly not in this style. EKG, Fuggles, would be fine, appropriate, and woudl be my first choice. But, if it's just for a bittering addition you could get away with pretty much any clean hop.

Well, for an Irish stout (or almost any stout), I wouldn't plan ANY hop additions other than your bittering addition. Roasted malts and hop flavor/aroma don't usually work very well together, certainly not in this style. EKG, Fuggles, would be fine, appropriate, and woudl be my first choice. But, if it's just for a bittering addition you could get away with pretty much any clean hop.

you wouldnt, but he might :)... he didnt really specify what type of hop he was asking about.

It depends on the Alpha Acid. I would probably back it down a bit as the usual AA for northern brewer is around 7 to 9%.

Also depends on your preference. I really like stouts that aren't heavy on the bitterness to bring the roasted barley out.

I just bottled what I consider a great stoudt and use 1 oz of Willamette for bittering. I grew it myself so I had to use it............worked!

With a 2 gallon boil, I would probably use 1 1/2 ounces. If you want a more bitter stout, I would go with the whole 2 ounces. 1.5 ounces would put you around 35 IBUS though.

Thinking of using Chinook hops for a stout, what do you think?

I made an oatmeal stout with Chinook and it came out a bit harsh for my taste. (ymmv) Then I ran across a micro-brewery in Mariposa that makes a very similar tasting brew but they used Warrior. To my taste it was way easier drinking than mine with the Chinook. I haven't made any oatmeal stout since then so I can't say how difference it would make using the same recipe. But I have heard that Chinook can be a tad harsh,

Back