White Lab or Wyeast cider yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmsj

Reaction score
I am looking to make my 1st batch of hard cider this fall. I would like recommendations on which cider yeast they like better and why. Is ther anything better then these? I don't want to make apple wine. I would like a cider with a 7-10% alcohol content.

If you make a cider with 10% ABV, that really is in wine territory. The best way to make a cider that still tastes like cider and not wine is to simply use the best fresh cider and not add any sugar. Adding sugar boosts the ABV, but it makes the cider much more wine-like.

Several good cider makers have done interesting things with bottle pasteurization to keep a sweeter cider, and some have done experiments with many different kinds of yeast. Check out the stickies at the top of the forum for information on those.

Getting back to his original question (I came here looking for discussion on the same thing) - Anyone ever use the WL or WY cider yeasts and which is better or is there even a difference? I've tasted ciders made with the WL and they were quite good. I've had champagne yeast ciders also, which I didn't like as much, but yeah, it's all what you do with it I suppose...

Rob, for light sparkling semi-dry cider I use ale yeast. I'm currently using Edinburgh but have also used Nottingham and California Ale.

Anyone ever try Safale US 05 with cider? I'm kind of surprised ale yeast can be used but that is great since I'm a beer brewer and always have ale yeast on hand.

US 05 and California Ale are the same yeast variety, I'm told, and I've used the California to good effect. What kind of cider are you thinking of making?

I just had some at a brew club meeting, and the guy said it was super simple. He used White Labs yeast (I believe it was a cider yeast), and 5 gallons of cider from the orchard. Fermented it a few weeks, racked it to a 2nd then let that sit for 6 months before kegging and carbonating. He guessed it was probably around 6%, but it was fantastic. I liked it way more than the people that made the huge 9-10% wine like ciders (I found those give me huge headaches the next day too).. So I'm going to try something small and easy as my first. But, I thought of Saf-Ale because I have it stock piled in my brew fridge..

I much prefer the WL english cider yeast over the wyeast one. but barring that, I like pretty much any english ale yeast in my cider. Of them all I've found that WL023 Burton ale makes a simply amazing cider.

Back